EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Static timing vs precision timing

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 01:08 PM
traildog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 712 Likes on 359 Posts
Default Static timing vs precision timing

If the static timing is correct, would the precision timing be fairly close as well?

I never checked the static before.

Old 05-17-2014, 03:26 PM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

TD,
You already have static timed your bike.
To a certain extent anyway though you may not have followed the procedure in the manual.
You did so when you pulled and replaced your ignition during the cam change.
Static timing will get the ignition timing close enough to start and run the engine until you can dynamically set it with a timing light.
If done right you can get very close (and sometimes exactly right with luck, but I haven't been successful that way yet, but it's possible) to the correct ignition timing by static timing.

Last edited by megawatt; 05-17-2014 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:55 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 841 Likes on 452 Posts

As a qualified wrench I am duty bound to tell you that as per the above post...static is just to get it started, only dynamic can be considered correct and this is because it is the dynamic timing that comes into play when riding and if its wrong it can make a mess.

Old 05-17-2014, 05:01 PM
traildog
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Spanners39
As a qualified wrench I am duty bound to tell you that as per the above post...static is just to get it started, only dynamic can be considered correct and this is because it is the dynamic timing that comes into play when riding and if its wrong it can make a mess.
What do you mean by "mess.?"

As you can tell, I'm still not happy with my timing. I need a better Strobe. I have a friend who has a professional Strobe, but we're having a hard time getting together.

Old 05-17-2014, 05:20 PM
machinehed
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default timing light.

Originally Posted by traildog
What do you mean by "mess.?"

As you can tell, I'm still not happy with my timing. I need a better Strobe. I have a friend who has a professional Strobe, but we're having a hard time getting together.
In my experience with timing lights , they either work as intended or dont work at all.
A pro. lamp is very robust and therefore expensive as its desighned to be used every day .
You can now get a fairly decent one at any auto parts store for approx. $ 30.00.
Tip., use an inexpensive light in a dimly lit area if you are having trouble seeing the timing marks.

Old 05-17-2014, 05:46 PM
traildog
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by machinehed
In my experience with timing lights , they either work as intended or dont work at all.
A pro. lamp is very robust and therefore expensive as its desighned to be used every day .
You can now get a fairly decent one at any auto parts store for approx. $ 30.00.
Tip., use an inexpensive light in a dimly lit area if you are having trouble seeing the timing marks.
Thirty bucks is what I paid for the one I have. Sometimes it flashes well and other times it's hit and miss.

Old 05-17-2014, 05:55 PM
ironoxide
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Indy

Trial, perhaps a trip to an indy to have your timing checked is in order. I can't imagine that it would cost much.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:05 PM
machinehed
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default hit and miss.

Originally Posted by traildog
Thirty bucks is what I paid for the one I have. Sometimes it flashes well and other times it's hit and miss.
Ok ., so we are down to two possibilities , either the light is crapping out due to internal failure or the pickup clamp or power supply is the culprit.?
I had a good quality lamp die after little use and have been using a cheapy ever since with good results .? Try installing the lamp on your car to test / indentify problem . If hit and miss persists after wiggling wires and thumping the damned thing a few times , purchase another . At least you are covered by warrenty and wont have to wait to hook up with your bud.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:08 PM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

what he really meant to say was TD your blind from all the seafoam exposure

Old 05-17-2014, 06:24 PM
traildog
Seasoned HDF Member

Ok ., so we are down to two possibilities , either the light is crapping out due to internal failure or the pickup clamp or power supply is the culprit.?
I had a good quality lamp die after little use and have been using a cheapy ever since with good results .? Try installing the lamp on your car to test / indentify problem . If hit and miss persists after wiggling wires and thumping the damned thing a few times , purchase another . At least you are covered by warrenty and wont have to wait to hook up with your bud.
Dang, sometimes things are sooooo simple, but, it takes someone to Smack you in the face with it...... I'm going out to hook the light up to my wife's car right now......

Quick Reply: Static timing vs precision timing