EVO All Evo Model Discussion

LED`s on 1986 FLHTC

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 06:13 PM
ndmick
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default LED`s on 1986 FLHTC

Is anyone running LED`s on older Evo`s?If so what type, do I need an Equalizer? Your help would be appreciated.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:23 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Bulbs only will need an equalizer but many of the 'fixtures' will not need them if they already have them built in.
I wonder if this is only if they go through something like the TSM. ???? Meaning lots of people have already installed LEDs as headlights with nothing more added. Taillights too if they don't include the directional lights.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:43 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,900 Likes on 1,423 Posts

Yeah, I'm running some LED's. Trucklight LED Headlight and spots, and some SuperbrightLEDS.com amber 1157 bulbs in the front for the turn signal/running light. Can't remember if I put LED turn signals on the back. For the turn signals, you will have to replace both flasher modules with a generic "heavy duty" "OK for LED" 2 wire turn signal module available at about any auto parts store today. I bought a couple at Advanced. I haven't found a LED brake light replacement yet, but the new one sold by the aftermarket companies looks promising.

The best amber ones that Superbight sells is barely adequate, in my opinion. It is about as bright as a regular 1157.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:15 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I have LED indicators and used a Badlands equalizer. It's quite possible later LED units (mine replace the whole amber lens plus bulb holder) may incorporate the necessary stuff. If your indicators don't flash correctly, a Badlands or similar module is in your near future!

Old 05-05-2014, 11:17 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

The '86 uses a standard automotive flasher unit. 2 of them, actually. They mount inside the faring by the right fork leg. The new ones will cram into the mount if you try hard enough. The OEM one is not the right one for the OEM mount anyway, judging by the looks of the 2, so the MoCo just jammed what they had in there. Round peg in a square hole, so to speak.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:47 PM
ndmick
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think I remember round in square holder.I`ll take a look next week .Thanks for the advise. Do you remember which Trucklight LED Headlight you used?

Old 05-05-2014, 06:48 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 818 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
The '86 uses a standard automotive flasher unit. 2 of them, actually. They mount inside the faring by the right fork leg. The new ones will cram into the mount if you try hard enough. The OEM one is not the right one for the OEM mount anyway, judging by the looks of the 2, so the MoCo just jammed what they had in there. Round peg in a square hole, so to speak.

Use a Badlands ATS -03 module for LED flashers on early bikes.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:43 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ndmick
I think I remember round in square holder.I`ll take a look next week .Thanks for the advise. Do you remember which Trucklight LED Headlight you used?
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...nd-review.html

http://www.discountfleetsupply.com/tlc27270c.html

Old 05-06-2014, 12:07 PM
Ziggie
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I swapped all of my signals for amber LEDs behind smoked lenses, and my tail light for a smoked lay down style tail light. My '94 required installation of the Badlands LE01 equalizer module to make the LEDs flash correctly. I also swapped the fender tip lights for smoked versions that came with an amber and red LED blade style bulb to replace the 194 that was there originally. I think I'm going to pull the LED blades and go back to conventional 194 bulbs for the fender tips. The LED really doesn't distribute the light well in that application. Haven't gotten around to LED head light and spot lights yet.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:52 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

Oh yeah, I did the fender tips and the tour pack side lights in LED's as well. That's a lot of bulbs/current right there.

Quick Reply: LED`s on 1986 FLHTC