EVO All Evo Model Discussion

What to do if your clutch cable is too long???

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 03:47 PM
AAAC
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What to do if your clutch cable is too long???

I just pulled the boot off my clutch cable and the guy before me evidently had the ends of this cable (on each side of the adjuster) shimmed with a zip tie to get extra play out of the cable. I've screwed the adjustment all the way out (where the threads are down to the last thread or two) and there is still 1/4" of play between the ferrule and the lever assembly.

How can I get the play out of the cable??? Thank you!

Old 04-15-2014, 03:49 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by AAAC
I just pulled the boot off my clutch cable and the guy before me evidently had the ends of this cable (on each side of the adjuster) shimmed with a zip tie to get extra play out of the cable. I've screwed the adjustment all the way out (where the threads are down to the last thread or two) and there is still 1/4" of play between the ferrule and the lever assembly.

How can I get the play out of the cable??? Thank you!
Collapse all the adjustment, set the clutch centre adjustment as per your last thread and try again.

This scenario is often caused by people adjusting only the cable after a rebuild, eventually you run out of adjustment....

If that don't work the cable is poked but try the PROPER adjustment sequence first.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:53 PM
traildog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 712 Likes on 359 Posts

I had the same problem on my last bike. A Harley tech told me to pull the clutch and let it "pop" out several times. Not exactly sure what it does, but, it took the slack out.

Mine had spacers up by the handle until I did this trick.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:56 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by traildog
I had the same problem on my last bike. A Harley tech told me to pull the clutch and let it "pop" out several times. Not exactly sure what it does, but, it took the slack out.

I believe it re-seats the ***** in the lift mechanism, they get stuck sometimes.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:58 PM
traildog
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Spanners39
I believe it re-seats the ***** in the lift mechanism, they get stuck sometimes.
Reseats *****????? Ouch. ;-)

Old 04-15-2014, 04:13 PM
AAAC
Tourer

Originally Posted by traildog

So....do you adjust all the slack out you can and THEN do this??? Do you need to readjust the clutch pack after doing this??? Thanks!

Old 04-15-2014, 04:25 PM
traildog
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by AAAC
So....do you adjust all the slack out you can and THEN do this??? Do you need to readjust the clutch pack after doing this??? Thanks!
Here's how I did mine if i recall correctly.

I left the spacers in and made sure the clutch was operating. I loosened the adjuster on the cable until there was slack at the lever. Snapped it a few times, and the slack went away. Loosened the adjuster again, snapped it a few times until the slack went away.

Problem is, I can't remember what I did at the clutch pack. I'm calling the tech now. Please HOLD.........

Old 04-15-2014, 04:44 PM
traildog
Seasoned HDF Member

He told me to do exactly what I described above.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:37 PM
Freebirdsride1
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pull Out Your Shop Manual, then remove the clutch hub inspection plate to gain access to the clutch hub. The clutch cable housing needs to be adjusted to the thread stop to gain as much slack as allowed. Then go to the clutch hub and adjust the clutch plate allen screw to obtain push rod to specs. Then return to the cable adjustment for the final adjustment for the lever.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:47 PM
AAAC
Tourer

Originally Posted by Freebirdsride1
Pull Out Your Shop Manual, then remove the clutch hub inspection plate to gain access to the clutch hub. The clutch cable housing needs to be adjusted to the thread stop to gain as much slack as allowed. Then go to the clutch hub and adjust the clutch plate allen screw to obtain push rod to specs. Then return to the cable adjustment for the final adjustment for the lever.

I did this exact procedure and after I did, I wasn't able to get the cable to tighten back up. I had about 5/8" play between the ferrule and the clutch lever assembly. I then tried to put some spacers in to see if the clutch would work and the lever would not pull in. This is when that old timer stepped in and readjusted my clutch pack...which got things working OK but I don't know if it's adjusted right.

Quick Reply: What to do if your clutch cable is too long???