You know what really gets me mad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 07:03 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
You should see my 100mm Chinese binoculars! They're great, although further enhanced by my genuwine American eyepieces! The computer you're working on is probably Chinese, plus your cell-phone, tv, etc......

I understand the point you are trying to make but I stand by my previous statement.

Granted my computer is mostly Chinese (major problems with it yesterday) as well as my phone (had to replace a couple of times so far) my T.V. however is Japanese and has lasted over 20 years (yes it is a CRT T.V.).

I'm glad you have had good luck with your Chinese product unfortunately I haven't had the same experience.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:27 AM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You should see my 100mm Chinese binoculars! They're great, although further enhanced by my genuwine American eyepieces! The computer you're working on is probably Chinese, plus your cell-phone, tv, etc......
Graham,
I think you are correct. However, there may be a significant perception variation, depending on which side of the pond your on. The problem we have in the US is that we are very frugal and demanding. In order for us to buy something, we need to see a value. So, the cheaper the item can be brought to market, the more it will sell. But, as it fails, we'll complain about quality as we go buy another just like it.. Take shocks for example, everyone here chokes on the price of a set of Ohlins and most will opt for a set of lowering brackets for thier stock set instead.. Lifters are something else, I have recently found stellar quality in Velvatouch, but the price will continue to drive most folks to buying Ultima, regardless of quality. It is what it is, but I do think its a national thing, for the most part.. I know I'm done with Chinese if I can help it since my experience with the chinese wheel and pushrod tube.. Both could have been very bad for me..

Old 03-13-2014, 07:44 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

I've been around long enough to have lived through the days of poor quality Japanese products! You should see the early Hondas FFS - I've drilled the cover screws out of bikes less than one year old, because the screws wouldn't budge. Such comments were far more justified back in the 50s and 60s than the recent comments about Chinese stuff. The difference is that they are using modern manufacturing techniques and materials, which they have in abundance.

Shocks is a different subject altogether! The Japanese suspension we all suffer from, on Evos or more modern Harleys, is from the bottom of the pile and despite the superior stuff available on other brands of bikes - from the same manufacturer. Which brings us full circle, as that example demonstrates that if the customer demands crap, that is what they will receive - Japanese or Chinese - as both nations can make top drawer stuff, today!

There are undeniably differences in perception, around the globe. Tyres is another, but we'll leave that for now!

Old 03-13-2014, 08:05 AM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have never bought any part from Harley that wasn't spot on, no matter where it was made. I have bought some cheap chinese parts and got pretty much what I expected. Some were workable, some were not. I have bought some swap meet parts that needed some welding, grinding and filing to fit but, they worked perfectly after that.

When it comes to exhaust systems, forward controls, any engine/drivetrain part, gas tanks, etc.., it's like toilet paper. Cheap toilet paper and underwear will work, barely, but you will never be happy.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:01 AM
92Fatty
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Spanners39
Its when you buy aftermarket parts that are supposed to fit your bike and they are so badly made that you have to get an engineer to remanufacture some parts before you can use them!!!

I got some rear footboards for my Lowrider and to say they are ***** would be an acclaim of which they are unworthy.....it takes as much work to make something that fits as it does to make something that doesn't fit!!

Shame on you Catalyst Cycles....you wasted $108 of my hard-earned dollars you cheapass ****'s...
Maybe you just needed extra Gorilla tape.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:15 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

My tap & die set gets a regular workout on new parts, particularly Kuryaken stuff.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:22 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts

There's good aftermarket stuff and not-good aftermarket stuff. I don't buy enough parts to know what is good and what isn't, so I generally stick to MoCo parts which are either good or at worst, acceptable. The last aftermarket part I bought was a Kury set of highway pegs for Dr.Linda's Sporty. They completely disintegrated 2K miles later, like, you look down and 1 is missing and the other is loose at a crimp that should have been a weld or 1 piece. I replaced them with some HD foot pegs which are still there.

Some problems with Chinese manufacture are that a part is spec'ed out. The prototype is perfect. The first batch is very good. Then quality starts dropping off and with the shipping and manufacturing delays, you are six months behind and good luck getting your money back from the manufacturer who just sent you a batch with a 50% failure rate. Also, they will run a midnight shift of your parts and sell them in other markets or to the US black market.

US manufacturing is a different problem. Government overhead (primarily) has forced our economy into a state of being non-competitive. Uncle Bill started the outsourcing of our industrial complex to China. "W" continued on with Uncle Bill's work, and The O has just continued on with that as well. The only thing we make here are some food stuffs that are too expensive to ship in and military hardware (made with a lot of Chinese and Indonesian parts, near as I can tell.)

Old 03-13-2014, 10:43 AM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

You should try putting a 5P root into chinese pipe... I don't care how pretty of a wedding band root you can lay in there... that porous chit aint passing X-ray.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:32 AM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts

Yep, I have even bought parts that said they would not fit and they did fit. Figured I have to mod it , but did not have too. They don't care what they tell ya now days, just get the money and run.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:09 PM
Hurricane19
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Such comments were far more justified back in the 50s and 60s than the recent comments about Chinese stuff. The difference is that they are using modern manufacturing techniques and materials, which they have in abundance.
Sorry my friend but that just is not true. The company I work for opened a porcelain plant in China about 6 years ago and EVERY porcelain plant over there is using such primitive equipment that it is just mind blowing that they can actually produce usable part much less a quality part. Same goes for most of the foundry's and machine shops we deal with there. Labor is cheap and equipment and tooling is primitive and that is how they produce cheap products.

Quick Reply: You know what really gets me mad?