Valve springs hitting rocker boxes

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 01:28 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts
Default Valve springs hitting rocker boxes

All 4 of my valve springs are hitting the inside of the bottom rocker box.

What causes this?
Can I just grind down my rocker boxes to fix this?

Attached Thumbnails Valve springs hitting rocker boxes-001.jpg  
Old 01-28-2014, 01:38 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,989 Likes on 8,639 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
All 4 of my valve springs are hitting the inside of the bottom rocker box.

What causes this?
Can I just grind down my rocker boxes to fix this?
Do not alter the rocker boxes. Something else is wrong/broken. Check your service manual to see how everything is supposed to go together.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:58 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 844 Likes on 453 Posts

This is very common with aftermarket cams, I routinely grind out the rocker boxes when fitting certain cams.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:23 PM
Freebirdsride1
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Spanners39
This is very common with aftermarket cams, I routinely grind out the rocker boxes when fitting certain cams.
I've cut out the rocker box for larger Valve and Cams or Cam installed.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:35 PM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

I know this ain't your problem but aftermarket rocker boxes need relieving sometimes.
A buddy of mine bought some Xzotic knucklehead rocker boxes for his Evo and they needed quite a bit of metal removal for the valve spring retainers to clear and I'm not surprised that some HD boxes may need a bit of relieving with changes made in an engine.
Just getting a valve job could move the spring retainers closer to the rocker box.

Old 01-28-2014, 03:01 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by Spanners39

In the next few days I'm gonna take the heads and jugs to the machine shop.
should I take the bottom rocker box as well to make sure I get the right clearance?

The following users liked this post:
SonofHarley91 (07-09-2019)
Old 01-28-2014, 07:42 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,853 Likes on 3,019 Posts

The cam selection has nothing to do with the interference BUT the valve spring top retainer and keeper location does -- as well as the total valve length if its been alterted

the normal installed height in a harley is 1.850 and the travel ( key to any cam change ) < distance between the bottom of the top retainer and the top of the valve guide seal - determins the total size of the cam you can use // with out machining the valve guide top down to allow more travel for the bigger cam, and or replacing the valve spring package with a performance one ( what does that do - it moves the top retainer up -- reason for your problem ) - that allows more travel and it has stronger springs with more IH distance IH = < installed height / and ends up with more pressure via better springs -- stock is around 120 lbs @ 1.850 - IH pressure and an after market spring set USUALLY has 160 Lbs IH -- for a moderate performance unit -- its the open pressures that is increased that the use of better lifters are needed, as stock open valve spring presures its around 225 Lbs open pressure < when the valve is open to the max - and a performance set its increased it to 325 lbs so you see lots of info that only a real machine shop can, with special tooling determin what is going on, and what may be needed to correct this issue - and yes removing some from the box might be needed in a normal package MAYBE, But if it were high ended with a big cam, you might have to grind the rocker arm stem top as it hits the top cover as the hydrolic lifter pumps out at high RPMs -- this is about 5 percent i could write on the subject but you get the idea --

hope i dident confuse the issue -- jz

Old 01-28-2014, 07:54 PM
Schex
Supporter
Received 7,042 Likes on 1,856 Posts

In other words, clearance the boxes and call it good.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:13 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,853 Likes on 3,019 Posts

Originally Posted by Schex3x
In other words, clearance the boxes and call it good.
we stopped using flat springs years ago so i do not know what they are selling today and what might be his reason, BUT i have in the past when we used flat springs put 600 lift cams in stock evo heads and did not have this issue, but we had our own cam grinds - BUT ///

Now stock harley springs do slinky at high revs / you can see this in the retainer / keeper attach site ( rubbing each other )

hight is hight its a given so something else is going on -- i am not going to speculate

i hope it works out in his favor -- jz

Old 01-28-2014, 08:21 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
we stopped using flat springs years ago so i do not know what they are selling today and what might be his reason, BUT i have in the past when we used flat springs put 600 lift cams in stock evo heads and did not have this issue, but we had our own cam grinds - BUT ///

Now stock harley springs do slinky at high revs / you can see this in the retainer / keeper attach site ( rubbing each other )

hight is hight its a given so something else is going on -- i am not going to speculate

i hope it works out in his favor -- jz

Would you recommend I go with some of those new beehive springs?

Quick Reply: Valve springs hitting rocker boxes