Uprgrade to CV Carb

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 07:47 AM
TheBanditColorado
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uprgrade to CV Carb

Hey y'all,
I have been off my bike for a while and decided I wanted to upgrade my carb from the old style butterfly to the CV style after listening to the folks on here say what a big improvement it is and struggling with my upgrade to the Keihin butterfly.

I tried to upgrade my butterfly with a better fuel pump accelerator about month ago before the weather turned to crap, my business expansion began, and I hurt my wrist (sports injury)... but I am healthy now, the weather is still cold though so I pulled the trigger on some parts. The mods on did on the butterfly didn't work out great. I was struggling with stumbling off the bottom from a dead stop, and though it pulled much harder once it got going I wasn't real happy with the way it was making power (shifted to wanted to be revved as it made it's best power now up over 3300 rpms and that's now where I like to ride all the time).

I bought a used CV carb with a cruise control bracket on ebay for $75
I bought a used CV intake manifold on ebay for $25
I bought a James CV gasket kit from J&P Cycles for $11
I bought a CVP Max Inlet Fuel Elbow from CV Performance $18

The carb didn't come with a choke on it so we'll see if I can attach the old one, and I think I might need to buy an air cleaner bracket (maybe a new air cleaner) so we'll see on that.

I will try to do this conversion myself and post my results. Got the carb and waiting on the rest of the parts... and my business expansion buildout to end (probably 2-3 more weeks of madness), then hopefully so good weather for riding.

Fired up to get back on my bike after some time away from riding.
If you have any suggestions for me on how to attach the cruise control unit I am not really understanding yet how that works. Also CVP says that their elbow will deliver 40% more fuel with a 5/16th fuel line... is this a good idea? Thanks!

Old 01-16-2014, 11:29 AM
tomfiii
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Carb does not have a choke ,it has an enrichener cable that goes into carb that you do not lube and don't over tighten the plastic nut. get youself correct length cables from a later model that uses that carb. Also read up on the the least amount of carb mods to do as opening the idle screw hole for access,going up one size on low speed jet and start from there.

Last edited by tomfiii; 01-16-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:43 AM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Can't help with the cruise control. As for the 40% more fule mileage I would be extremely wary of that. Sounds like running lean to me. Harley V-twin and lean usually mean's bad things. I replaced the butterfly carb on my old electraglide with a killer cycle CV and love it. Lots more power and no coughing.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:19 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

He did not say 40% more mileage, he said 40% more fuel...........

Old 01-16-2014, 02:48 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 449 Posts

40% more fuel would only be of value if the bike needed it, which it doesn't. All it means is it will fill faster when you switch to reserve. Cruise control? ...really?

Old 01-16-2014, 11:06 PM
cowboy 51
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can do it your self not hard at all , chock/enricher cable , like said above find a used one somewhere ,CVP also sells a bracket that will mount it to the carb itself , or look around for a factory style one that mounts by the horn

Old 01-17-2014, 06:38 AM
GraemeR
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Good moves mate....Some key things on the CV would be:
- What jets do have and what do you intend to run?
- Has the aluminium plug under the unit been drilled out?
- check the piston rubber diaphram for any holes - they can be repaired.
- check the piston diphram plastic ring as they sometimes crack (I have lost 3 so far)

This is a good general link thats stood the test of time. http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hd_cv_mods.htm

cheers

Old 01-17-2014, 08:25 AM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Beemervet
He did not say 40% more mileage, he said 40% more fuel...........
Well, you're right.. Doh!! I can't imagine why you would need that much fuel flow unless you do a really big build. And, it's not like gas is flowing through the existing line like a fire hose. I would think that if you needed more flow a fuel pump would be the ticket.

I have read that the old butterfly carb can be made to perform pretty well. But, I live in NC where we have coast and mountains. On my old Heritage I had an S&S Super E. It did fine a the beach and piedmont. But, up at Grandfather Mountain/Boone/Mt. Mitchell area it didn't idle worth a flip. Too rich. The CV carb compensates and runs great.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:41 PM
machinehed
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As stated ., there is no actual choke on a cv carb. they use an enrichner type of system instead but it has to be activated by a cable as used by the old choke type.
You should be able to refit the old choke cable system to work with the cv carb.?
See " cv carb. performance " site for all parts and info. to rebuild the cv carb etc.
You will love this cv as compared to the older carb. its a definate plus.