EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Quiet Baffles Make No Difference

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 04:12 PM
DaveNBPT
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Quiet Baffles Make No Difference

While having other service done at my local HD dealership on my 1997 FXSTC, I had quiet baffles installed on my V&H Big Shots. I notice no change in the quality/volume of sound. The previous sound didn't bother me at all, as a matter of fact, I love the sound of loud exhaust. I just want to be a little more sensitive to the neighbors, mothers and little kids who I'm sure are cringing when they're behind my bike when I fire it up. Also, this doesn't seem to make any sense to me, but I feel like the exhaust sound is actually louder to me when riding the bike. Is this possible? I'm guessing it must be my perception. Anyway, I'm wondering what others experiences have been with the quiet baffles. All things aside, this bike is a supreme machine...man, do I love it!

Old 12-08-2013, 05:27 PM
traildog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 712 Likes on 359 Posts

I wasn't going to mention it, but, your bike is too loud........JK!

I had to find some OEM slip ons for mine......I don't like loud.......

Old 12-11-2013, 11:06 AM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have some pretty big slip on's, brand unknown that were on my bike when I bought it. I briefly switched them out for som J&P Cycle drag slip on's (didn't like them). They came with baffles, I pulled them out looking for a better sound and put in lollie-pops. All sucked. Put the originals back on for life.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:36 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveNBPT
While having other service done at my local HD dealership on my 1997 FXSTC, I had quiet baffles installed on my V&H Big Shots. I notice no change in the quality/volume of sound. The previous sound didn't bother me at all, as a matter of fact, I love the sound of loud exhaust. I just want to be a little more sensitive to the neighbors, mothers and little kids who I'm sure are cringing when they're behind my bike when I fire it up. Also, this doesn't seem to make any sense to me, but I feel like the exhaust sound is actually louder to me when riding the bike. Is this possible? I'm guessing it must be my perception. Anyway, I'm wondering what others experiences have been with the quiet baffles. All things aside, this bike is a supreme machine...man, do I love it!
If you want quiet go with OEM equipment.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:43 PM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveNBPT
I was going to do the same thing but was told when I called V&H that the difference was small. I have SE shot gun slip ons on my new bike and they are just right for me and the neighbours.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:06 PM
DaveNBPT
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts

Thanks for the responses. I'll sit tight for the winter & possibly do something in the Spring...we'll see. Thanks again.
Dave

Last edited by DaveNBPT; 12-11-2013 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Mispell
Old 12-13-2013, 09:16 AM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It seems to me that because or the header and exhaust routing on on the FLHTC it has a major influence on the sound no matter the mufflers. There's a distinct FLH sound with stock header pipes. If really want a different sound you gotta replace the entire system. I started to do that but the big, like 4 or 5 inch mufflers really sound good. They just aren't very loud. Rednecks like loud so...

Last edited by falconbrother; 12-13-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:30 AM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

Hey Dave; The EVO FXSTC is a really fun bike to ride. I love my 99 too. I have ridden many Harleys, but this is the one I love the most. I have 1-3/4" drag pipes on mine with homemade lollipops. Not really to loud, but I sure can hear them. OK, they are pretty loud when I start it up on a cool morning till it warms up a bit.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:42 PM
squarewheel
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have installed the QBs on 2 Bikes, I didn't notice much diff in sound, but the seat of pants test, felt like a better bottom end torque.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:43 PM
92Fatty
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Can you get some high heat fiberglass and wrap them?