EVO All Evo Model Discussion

91 Ultra. setting timing EV 27 Cam swop

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 04:14 PM
BungoBill
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 91 Ultra. setting timing EV 27 Cam swop

Dont want to make any mistakes at this point. With the timing mark on the pinion gear at 12 o clock and the cam gear lined up at 6 o clock what position should the cam lobes for the front cylinder be in . The breather gear is also lined up with cam gear. Also... as I havent dismantled top end what position should the flywheel be at (tdc. or what)

added....Local news Police Helicopter crashes into local pub approx.1 mile from my home. 8 dead.
Civilian Pilot & 2 Police Officers in Helicopter killed + 5 others in pub. Many seriously injured.
I used to drink in the pub regulary! Bungo Glasgow UK.

Last edited by BungoBill; 11-30-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:48 PM
machinehed
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Timing etc.

Originally Posted by BungoBill
Dont want to make any mistakes at this point. With the timing mark on the pinion gear at 12 o clock and the cam gear lined up at 6 o clock what position should the cam lobes for the front cylinder be in . The breather gear is also lined up with cam gear. Also... as I havent dismantled top end what position should the flywheel be at (tdc. or what)

added....Local news Police Helicopter crashes into local pub approx.1 mile from my home. 8 dead.
Civilian Pilot & 2 Police Officers in Helicopter killed + 5 others in pub. Many seriously injured.
I used to drink in the pub regulary! Bungo Glasgow UK.
Very sorry to hear of the crash and lives lost . It makes you wonder when things like this happen so close to home etc.?

Re: timing... i dont know how to help but Spanners39 is apperantly working on a detailed description of how to properly mate a aftermarket cam to the original motor cam gear .?
Come on Spanners ...

Old 11-30-2013, 08:49 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 832 Likes on 446 Posts

Flywheel will be in the right position because you haven't taken the crank gear off so don't worry about that.

As for lobes, if you got the gear on correctly the 6 o'clock timing mark will be exactly opposite the notch in the back of the cam flange and this notch will be at 12 o'clock. The cam lobe nearest you will be pointing North East or half way between the 1 and the 2 on an analogue clock.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:39 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,841 Likes on 3,014 Posts

Originally Posted by Spanners39
Flywheel will be in the right position because you haven't taken the crank gear off so don't worry about that.

As for lobes, if you got the gear on correctly the 6 o'clock timing mark will be exactly opposite the notch in the back of the cam flange and this notch will be at 12 o'clock. The cam lobe nearest you will be pointing North East or half way between the 1 and the 2 on an analogue clock.
But your clocks run backwards from ours as you are standing on your heads i was told

so what way is north east is that across antarctica and over ???????????/?//?

Old 12-01-2013, 01:35 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
But your clocks run backwards from ours as you are standing on your heads i was told

so what way is north east is that across antarctica and over ???????????/?//?
north east from here would take you to los Angeles. We may be upside down but north is still north ;-)

Old 12-01-2013, 10:30 AM
BungoBill
Road Captain

Thanks for that spanners,I will check it out tomorrow.
When I checked the end float on the Camshaft it was 0.020 before tightening Cam cover with gasket in situ. When I tightened (slowly & evenly)Cam cover screws the Camshaft had no end play,everything went "tight".
Still original bushes in Camcover.
I did swop Oil Seal on Cam case at Cam shaft end.
Any suggestions?

Old 12-01-2013, 11:08 AM
HarDlife
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for that spanners,I will check it out tomorrow.
When I checked the end float on the Camshaft it was 0.020 before tightening Cam cover with gasket in situ. When I tightened (slowly & evenly)Cam cover screws the Camshaft had no end play,everything went "tight".
Still original bushes in Camcover.
I did swop Oil Seal on Cam case at Cam shaft end.
Any suggestions?
That's a lot of squish for a cover gasket. Are you sure you had .020 before tightening? Are you sure you have no clearance now? Double check everything. If that's the situation, you'll need a thinner cam washer.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:16 AM
BungoBill
Road Captain

Originally Posted by HarDlife
That's a lot of squish for a cover gasket. Are you sure you had .020 before tightening? Are you sure you have no clearance now? Double check everything. If that's the situation, you'll need a thinner cam washer.
Hi HD,yes, it is a lot of squish. Have double & treble checked everything.
Camshaft moves back & froward easily by hand pushing the lobe/s from inside
shifter block hole and also from notched end of Camshaft in timing recess.
Cant imagine anything would be out of line as I havent swopped bushes on Cam case..

Old 12-01-2013, 02:19 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Hi HD,yes, it is a lot of squish. Have double & treble checked everything.
Camshaft moves back & froward easily by hand pushing the lobe/s from inside
shifter block hole and also from notched end of Camshaft in timing recess.
Cant imagine anything would be out of line as I havent swopped bushes on Cam case..
That end float has to be correct so make sure its got some.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:06 PM
BungoBill
Road Captain

That end float has to be correct so make sure its got some.
Managed to get it sorted. I changed the order of tightening screws on the Camcover. I had tightened them evenly as I said. Anyway all is well and with adequate end float. Now its on to fitting the S & S easyfit pushrods inc. new seals top & bottom on pushrod tunnels. Thanks once again to yourself and HarDlife + others for advice. Please keep me informed of any problems that you anticipate I could have fitting thr p.rods etc.