EVO All Evo Model Discussion

pulling motor 1990 FLT

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 05:20 PM
machinehed
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default pulling motor 1990 FLT

Ok., im down to only the motor mount bolts .
Very little info. in the shop manual regarding this last removal step.
Bike is on the side stand and i have very little room as its in a shed and not a garage.
Questions... should i support the motor from underneath before removing the entire front mount as described in the shop manual.?
They say to remove the front mount entirley and then the rear mount .???
I have removed the rear brake pedal assy. as it looks to me as its structure will impede the horizontal movement of the motor to release it from the inner primary case and free the drive shaft from the inner primary case .???
Any help is appreciated as i am doing this with no help to hump this motor out . Its a one man deal.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:12 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,863 Likes on 3,026 Posts

you have left out some info I Know its a PITA But is the inner primary is still on -- if you remove the front mount it allows the motor to drop down < for me that makes it even more a thing -- i know they talk about removing the complete motor WHY are you doing it that way ??? is someone else doing work on it ??

i always remove the top end first That makes the rest easy to lift and remove same going back in - just my take i hate having to it twice - johnjzjz

Old 11-25-2013, 06:24 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 846 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
you have left out some info I Know its a PITA But is the inner primary is still on -- if you remove the front mount it allows the motor to drop down < for me that makes it even more a thing -- i know they talk about removing the complete motor WHY are you doing it that way ??? is someone else doing work on it ??

i always remove the top end first That makes the rest easy to lift and remove same going back in - just my take i hate having to it twice - johnjzjz
Agreed, I always pull the top end first.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:31 PM
machinehed
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default total removal of 1990 evo motor

Yes , its a pita for sure.
Reason for total removal was on the advise my local machine shop guy who i had selected to do the motor work .
Apperantly he is 60 + years old and has his own shop etc. and knows his stuff .? I was reffered to him " and others " by the local HD dealership .After speaking to him on the phone i selected him to do my work.
His advise to me to bring the entire motor to him " if possible " so he could check the bottom end also . After all she is 24 yeaers old /70000 miles.!
I agreed as at the time i was unaware that removing a Evo motor from the frame could be a job that was so lacking in information from the official Harley manuals etc. There are plenty of pics. around of Harley motors that have been removed from the frames and mine is only one .
Im going to go one step further...
Im a newby to Harleys but ok with bike wrenches since the 70s and the Harley is good to go back to the 70s and 80s etc. Right !
Can i be the first one who needs to pull a motor ? Not ****ing liklely.
One way or another , she has to come out in the next 3 days as its getting to damned cold now .

Old 11-25-2013, 07:44 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,863 Likes on 3,026 Posts

Originally Posted by machinehed
Yes , its a pita for sure.
Reason for total removal was on the advise my local machine shop guy who i had selected to do the motor work .
Apperantly he is 60 + years old and has his own shop etc. and knows his stuff .? I was reffered to him " and others " by the local HD dealership .After speaking to him on the phone i selected him to do my work.
His advise to me to bring the entire motor to him " if possible " so he could check the bottom end also . After all she is 24 yeaers old /70000 miles.!
I agreed as at the time i was unaware that removing a Evo motor from the frame could be a job that was so lacking in information from the official Harley manuals etc. There are plenty of pics. around of Harley motors that have been removed from the frames and mine is only one .
Im going to go one step further...
Im a newby to Harleys but ok with bike wrenches since the 70s and the Harley is good to go back to the 70s and 80s etc. Right !
Can i be the first one who needs to pull a motor ? Not ****ing liklely.
One way or another , she has to come out in the next 3 days as its getting to damned cold now .
Ok take the two top rocker covers off each head as they will get damaged if you dont - that thing is heavy and TOP heavy at that, so caution By your self - have anyone stand by just in case you get your hand jammed -- how do i know that - experence - johnjzjz

Old 11-25-2013, 07:56 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Last time I pulled a complete Harley motor out it was a TC that was having a 120R fitted.....took 3 of us to do it without injury.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:37 PM
traildog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 712 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Spanners39
Last time I pulled a complete Harley motor out it was a TC that was having a 120R fitted.....took 3 of us to do it without injury.
Understandably, with your advanced AGE..........

Old 11-25-2013, 09:04 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by traildog
Understandably, with your advanced AGE..........

Watch it sonny.......

Old 11-26-2013, 01:03 AM
Dgaroutte
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I pulled my complete engine out of my Ultra. After everything was disconnected I slid the engine away from the inner primary, tilted it out at the top, and a friend and I lifted it out. I put the engine back in the same way. I did not remove the front motor mount. It would probably be much easier as everyone said to take the top end off first as it is top heavy. It doesn't hurt to find someone who has a good back and strong to help. I couldn't have done it by myself.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:57 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,235 Likes on 5,852 Posts

I removed my motor complete...piece of cake. I have a bike jack..blocked up the frame on each side of the jack...and used wood on top of the jack to keep it from dropping down...removed the entire primary...then unbolted it, front and back...lifted it out. Plan on putting back the same way. I have seen it done with the inner primary left on....but I am not going that far into one without replacing inner primary bearing and seal.

Last edited by Tom84FXST; 11-26-2013 at 05:06 AM.

Quick Reply: pulling motor 1990 FLT