EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Another cam thead

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013 | 09:04 AM
Kushman
|
Tourer
Default Another cam thead

With winter upon us hear it is time to start looking at the mods for the year.
85 FLHT
Stage 1 mods last year
Most ridding is solo highway from 60-80 mph.
I like to "get on her" at red lights and ride with a lot of FX's and Sporty's so have to keep up
After riding my Dyna 88 around for a while then switching back I realized it is time to get the old girl some new life. I changed to a cv last year and stage 1 AC and Exhaust and was very happy with how the bike responded to this.
I have considered several cams for the job
EV-13
EV-27
SE-03
W-6
and now the tech at our local shop has suggest the HQ-24.
After doing a couple searches the only hit I got was Lynn who had one is his bike last year.
The HQ-24 has a lift of .500 and is the maximum lift for the 85 I believe as there are no re-leafs cut into the pistons.
Has anyone used this cam and what was it like.
Timing specs measured at .053" tappet lift.
Intake 20/98/36 236 .500" lift
Exhaust 51/106/19 250 .500" lift
I will not be removing the heads this year but will next year for RR and deck them for a slight comp. jump and will be using the same cam.
Andrews adjustable rods and stock HD lifters.
Cheers

Old 11-23-2013 | 09:28 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy

If you are going to do nothing but change the cam stick with a bolt in one.

Old 11-23-2013 | 11:38 AM
GMCC Mad Dog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kushman
With winter upon us hear it is time to start looking at the mods for the year. 85 FLHT Stage 1 mods last year Most ridding is solo highway from 60-80 mph. I like to "get on her" at red lights and ride with a lot of FX's and Sporty's so have to keep up After riding my Dyna 88 around for a while then switching back I realized it is time to get the old girl some new life. I changed to a cv last year and stage 1 AC and Exhaust and was very happy with how the bike responded to this. I have considered several cams for the job EV-13 EV-27 SE-03 W-6 and now the tech at our local shop has suggest the HQ-24. After doing a couple searches the only hit I got was Lynn who had one is his bike last year. The HQ-24 has a lift of .500 and is the maximum lift for the 85 I believe as there are no re-leafs cut into the pistons. Has anyone used this cam and what was it like. Timing specs measured at .053" tappet lift. Intake 20/98/36 236 .500" lift Exhaust 51/106/19 250 .500" lift I will not be removing the heads this year but will next year for RR and deck them for a slight comp. jump and will be using the same cam. Andrews adjustable rods and stock HD lifters. Cheers
I ride a '94 Softail Custom. Sounds like your riding style is similar to mine.
I'm considering a cam and ignition module upgrade, so I'll be interested to read the feedback.
Have you changed your ignition module?

Old 11-23-2013 | 03:27 PM
HarDlife
Road Warrior

Looks similar to the EV27 on paper, with just a hair more lift, and several more degrees of exhaust duration. Very similar to an EV38. Would probably make really good midrange power if that's what you want.
Sounds like it would suit your riding style. Truth is, any of these bolt in cams with similar specs are going to behave in a similar fashion. As long as you go with a known quality brand, and pick one that works with your setup and suits your riding style you really can't go wrong.

Comp cams V Thunder 3010 would be another good option, just thought I'd throw it out there.

Good luck with it, and let us know how it goes.

Old 11-23-2013 | 06:07 PM
Kushman
|
Tourer

Thanks HarDlife, Iwas trying to think of the V thunder cam they come without gear if you like and save a couple of bucks and have heard good tings about them.
GMCC Mad Dog yes I will be upgrading the ignition module as well as the coil, headquaters has a bolt in kit that includes cam, module and adjustable push rods they are producing around 70hp and 75fp I am going to call them next week and see what they have and how much.
I am one of the people that is still nervous about nose cone modules (have a electrical background and never liked heat and electronics) so my next choice Willis probable be a Screaming Eagle, Dyna 2000 or a twin tech.
I will look more closely at the ignition after choosing the cam and keeping in mind that I will be boosting the compression next year and would like a little more before bouncing off the rev limiter as I am bumping it quite often in 2nd and 3rd gears when running with the pack.If I had not just bought the Dyna I would be going for broke (or at least till the ol figured it out lol) new pistons, head work etc. but that will have to wait till I unload the Dyna.

Old 11-23-2013 | 06:51 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

if that 85 has not had the original pistons replaced than you cant cam it < the exhaust side of the piston TOP is flat and has no valve relief - you need to cut the piston tops or replace them -- johnjzjz

Old 11-23-2013 | 06:52 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member

if it were me I would go with the ev27 and just read the dozen or so threads. if you do that you'll be able to do it without asking any unknown questions. I guess I am just too scared to try something elese on a bike that is almost 30 years old

Old 11-23-2013 | 07:06 PM
HarDlife
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
if that 85 has not had the original pistons replaced than you cant cam it < the exhaust side of the piston TOP is flat and has no valve relief - you need to cut the piston tops or replace them -- johnjzjz
Replace! Replace! Go with 9.5 or 10:1 slugs and get your compression bump at the same time, and you won't have to shave down your heads.

Man, it's FUN spending someone else's money for a change!

Old 11-23-2013 | 07:28 PM
Kushman
|
Tourer

Yeah johnjzjz that is what I thought couldn't remember if the 85 could take the .500 lift on the exhaust or not. That would rule out ANY bolt in other then a stock cam unless I decide to bite the bullet and open the wallet.
Tee&Vee the EV-27 has a lift of .495 so the difference is very small .005", it is more the exhaust timing of the HQ that I like and is why they call it a "Thunder Stick" they are suppose to increase compression slightly and is recommended by our local Tech. I like to try different things and seeing as how I do all my own work it gives me an excuse to wrench and I'm not much good at being a sheep.
If the pistons have to be replaced it might be time for a reman or more cubes in the long run might be cheaper, I have played the rebuild game before $$

Old 11-23-2013 | 08:11 PM
HarDlife
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Kushman
Yeah johnjzjz that is what I thought couldn't remember if the 85 could take the .500 lift on the exhaust or not. That would rule out ANY bolt in other then a stock cam unless I decide to bite the bullet and open the wallet.
Tee&Vee the EV-27 has a lift of .495 so the difference is very small .005", it is more the exhaust timing of the HQ that I like and is why they call it a "Thunder Stick" they are suppose to increase compression slightly and is recommended by our local Tech. I like to try different things and seeing as how I do all my own work it gives me an excuse to wrench and I'm not much good at being a sheep.
If the pistons have to be replaced it might be time for a reman or more cubes in the long run might be cheaper, I have played the rebuild game before $$
The HQ24 alone would only increase you cranking compression by a couple of lbs, at best. The only way to get a worthwhile bump would be either shaving heads or domed pistons. Even a .030 head gasket will only get you about 5-6 more lbs of cc.
I don't know how many miles you have on your scoot, but when I just rebuilt my motor I added 10:1 forged Wisecos ($212 to my door), and only had to do a light honing of the cylinders to make them work (only had 14k on motor). Add about $150 if your cylinders need boring. I did nothing to the heads other than clean them up, lap the valves, and replace the stem seals. I now have a motor with around 185 lbs of cranking compression (9.05:1 corrected ratio), and would be a fair guess to say she's north of 70hp/80tq. It actually scared me a little when I opened her up some today.
If you do a reman motor it's going to be bone stock and you wouldn't be any better in terms of performance.
I would either spend the coin on the motor you've got, or if you have a big wallet and want to go REALLY fast, pony up for an S&S. jmo

Last edited by HarDlife; 11-23-2013 at 08:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Another cam thead