EVO All Evo Model Discussion

EVO cam/gear swops ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013 | 05:53 PM
machinehed
|
Road Master
Default EVO cam/gear swops ???

I have a 1990 Evo. and am rebuilding a high miles motor .
I have purchased a Andrews EV27 cam and other goodies.
Apparently this cam and probably others need special procedures to match them to the older cam drives in the older Evo motors.
The common practise is to remove the cam gear from the new cam and replace it with the original cam gear with a simple shop press.

As winter is approaching a lot of guys seem to be attempting to do a cam swop , i see many questions regarding how to properly do this including the cam gear exchange .

Would there be any pros./bros./gurus out there that can provide a DETAILED step by step procedure including pics. etc. to help with what looks to be a very intricate procedure to actually get right ???

Spanners and Dr.Hess etc., we need you .

Old 11-19-2013 | 06:30 PM
Kees
Road Master

I am taking my bike to Spanners in a couple of weeks to do this very job....cam, cam bearing, lifters and most probably rings. Spanners mentioned that we should do a thread on this as we will be using the old cam gear for the new V Thunder cam. PM spanners.....

Old 11-19-2013 | 08:40 PM
machinehed
|
Road Master
Default Right on !

Originally Posted by Kees
I am taking my bike to Spanners in a couple of weeks to do this very job....cam, cam bearing, lifters and most probably rings. Spanners mentioned that we should do a thread on this as we will be using the old cam gear for the new V Thunder cam. PM spanners.....
Thanks Kees ., maby we can all get togther on this big headbender and come up with something that we all can understand and even be able to do on our own with a cheap garage press.? I suspect that there are many others out there wanting to know .!

Old 11-19-2013 | 08:42 PM
Kees
Road Master

Originally Posted by machinehed
Thanks Kees ., maby we can all get togther on this big headbender and come up with something that we all can understand and even be able to do on our own with a cheap garage press.? I suspect that there are many others out there wanting to know .!
It will be my first time working on an EVO, learning the ropes with spanners guidance, he says it will cost more because he has me helping LOL

Old 11-19-2013 | 09:16 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Kees
It will be my first time working on an EVO, learning the ropes with spanners guidance, he says it will cost more because he has me helping LOL
Something like this?

Attached Thumbnails EVO cam/gear swops ???-kgrhqv-isfert69z-zbrnmynhhhg-60_1.jpg  
Old 11-19-2013 | 09:46 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Yep that's the standard pricing.

Old 11-19-2013 | 10:10 PM
cowboy 51
Road Master

That's a good idea kees & machinehed , A lot of us could use the info & pics

Old 11-19-2013 | 10:37 PM
Kees
Road Master

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Something like this?
You've hurt my feelings

Old 11-19-2013 | 10:55 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Thinking of putting in a EV27 cam myself so I'd sure appreciate a how to thread...

Old 11-19-2013 | 11:16 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

It isn't in the slightest bit intricate, nothing on an Evo is. That's what's great about them!

But will do the illustrated how to thread. It might involve violence and strong language, depending on what sort of apprentice Kees turns out to be ;-)

Quick Reply: EVO cam/gear swops ???