Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Something like this?
Perfect!

Old 11-19-2013 | 11:30 PM
Kees
Road Master

Originally Posted by Spanners39
It isn't in the slightest bit intricate, nothing on an Evo is. That's what's great about them!

But will do the illustrated how to thread. It might involve violence and strong language, depending on what sort of apprentice Kees turns out to be ;-)
Bring it on. ...... violence is good

Old 11-20-2013 | 04:12 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

I have hammers....

Old 11-20-2013 | 06:14 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Spanners39
I have hammers....
My father used to call those attitude adjustment machines or emergency repair tool number one.

Old 11-20-2013 | 11:14 AM
Kees
Road Master

My father used to call those attitude adjustment machines or emergency repair tool number one.
Or pecision impact device... lol

Old 11-20-2013 | 11:16 AM
grbrown
Club Member

My brother earns a living doing 'precision impact technology'.

My EV27 cam was fine with the gear it came with, I didn't change over. Although I understand the reasons for swapping, I do doubt the need to do it as if it is essential.

Old 11-20-2013 | 12:04 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
My brother earns a living doing 'precision impact technology'.

My EV27 cam was fine with the gear it came with, I didn't change over. Although I understand the reasons for swapping, I do doubt the need to do it as if it is essential.
the problem is, if you don't have,or know how to use the measuring device you have to fit the cam to find out if it does fit. Have fitted a few that whined real bad and always do the gear swap as its guaranteed to work and takes about as long as measuring the gears to do the swap and a lot less time than pulling it apart again.

Old 11-20-2013 | 12:36 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Spanners do you plan to cut the push rods and do adjustable rods?

Can't find a good how-to for this work (thought it seems pretty cut and dried) so I'm eagerly awaiting your how to.

In case I get froggy and decide to embark before you're done, how do you collapse the pushrod covers? The rest looks very straightforward. Not looking forward to removing the 1995 exhaust though...I can foresee broken bolts in my future....

Old 11-20-2013 | 01:37 PM
Lakerat
Road Warrior

May be a dumb question, I have swapped out exactly 1 EVO cam, but how many cams are out there in motors with a retarded or advanced cam timing condition as a result of swapping out the manufacturers gear installation? I would think the only way of guaranteeing a proper gear swap would be verifying it with a degree wheel. Does anyone really do that? Eyeballing a couple of scribed lines just doesn't give me a very warm and fuzzy feeling. Fortunately, I own micrometers and thread wires so it was a lot less trouble to verify the correct pitch circle instead of carrying everything to a shop with a hydraulic press to get it "close enough". Had my measurement not matched, the service manual lists the matching pinion gear for the measurement and it is keyed with loctite and a nut.
I come from a hot rod background and used a degree wheel on plenty of cam swaps and never found one to be off. I know, different animal than a Harley, but manufacturers are pretty accurate with their cam timing.
Just asking, flame on.
For grbrown, I thought y'all called them knocking or flogging sticks.

Last edited by Lakerat; 11-20-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-20-2013 | 06:56 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Ok. In reverse order, the gear swap is as accurate as it was when it was done in the factory, they use scribe lines too. I have every confidence in my abilities to get it right. Don't over think things and get hung up on data.

We won't be using adjustable push rods because a: neither of us believe they are anything but a retrograde step and b: we are doing the rings so they won't save any time.

To collapse the towers you flick out the keepers at the top and using some pipe wrenches or just your hands you push the aluminium section down into the chromed part.

Quick Reply: EVO cam/gear swops ???