EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Are all Evo rear brakes this useless??

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 08:24 PM
Hopper
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Are all Evo rear brakes this useless??

I recently bought a '95 Road King. It is my first "modern" Harley so still learning about it as I go.
The back brake barely works at all, unless I push on the pedal about as hard as I can. Even rolling into a stop light, it needs massive pedal pressure just to pull up at the line.

I have flushed and bled the system with new DOT 5 fluid, pumped the caliper piston out and cleaned up around the piston and made sure it moves in and out freely. The pedal now has a good firm feel, no sponginess.

The disc rotor looks like it is almost brand new, non-chromed, non-drilled, and shows very little sign of the usual scoring from the pads.
It has EBC pads that also look almost brand new.

So, I was wondering if they are all like this or whether there is some problem in the stock set up before I start tearing in and fitting a stainless brake hose and maybe a twin-piston caliper etc.

I got the front brakes working passably well by flushing, cleaning and fitting stainless hoses. But have a pair of GSXR-750 4-pot calipers sitting on the shelf waiting till I can make up adaptor plates.

But the rear brake is not even as good as the one on my old Shovel. Hell its not even as good as my 1942 WLA's rear brake.

Any suggestions from those who have been through this?

Also, were the original rear discs drilled? Or do you just forget about them in wet riding?

Old 11-11-2013, 08:44 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Not sure what is going on with yours but the stock brakes on my '95 heritage lock up the rear wheel when pressed hard enough.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:51 PM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

I believe I would make sure the puck isn't stuck and that the system was well bled. My RK will lock up the rear brake if pressed hard enough.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:52 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 6,276 Likes on 3,166 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Not sure what is going on with yours but the stock brakes on my '95 heritage lock up the rear wheel when pressed hard enough.
Same here. My foot's alot stronger than My hand. Lock that sucker up easy in a panic stop.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:08 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

my 94 softail rear brake works fine. Maybe flush the line an add fresh fluid.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:40 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,816 Likes on 3,008 Posts

we had a original rubber brake hose collapse part of the way, causing the same thing - but you did not say if you have the stock line or something else -- johnjzjz

Old 11-11-2013, 10:05 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

My 99 Softail Custom will lock them both up pretty easy. Not like some of the foreign bikes that scare me when you are on your nose the brakes are so touchy.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:38 PM
cowboy 51
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hopper sounds like you have a weak line , like johnjzjz said , cause you said you've already made it all work & fresh & clean

Old 11-12-2013, 02:09 AM
Hopper
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cowboy 51
hopper sounds like you have a weak line , like johnjzjz said , cause you said you've already made it all work & fresh & clean
Yeah this is what I am leaning toward. It has the original rubber brake line. Yet it seems to flow fluid ok under bleeding conditions and does not feel particularly spongy like the line is swelling under pedal pressure on the road.

So if this is an OK brake when in good condition, I reckon I'll fit a stainless line and see how it goes before I look at alternative calipers.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:58 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Hopper
The disc rotor looks like it is almost brand new, non-chromed, non-drilled, and shows very little sign of the usual scoring from the pads.
It has EBC pads that also look almost brand new.
I changed my brake pipes to braided early on, but be assured yours can and should lock the wheel, at least solo, it isn't short of power! It is also fine in all weathers and riding conditions - just look at the size of the thing!

Your words above are your clue. It seems the caliper is stuck, probably the piston is hanging up as well. Remove, use a rebuild kit, strip and clean. Take care on your next ride!

Quick Reply: Are all Evo rear brakes this useless??