EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Loose Tranny lever on splined shaft.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 12:55 PM
BungoBill
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Loose Tranny lever on splined shaft.

I know that this has appeared on the forum previously but not sure if this particular question has been asked...
I know its possible, but is it advisable, to drill a small hole through the splined Tranny Shaft and on the corresponding position on the rear Lever then put a "pin" of some description through both to eliminate the rattle.
I have previously fitted a new Lever but as most of you know they dont always tighten up or if they do tighten they come loose again. It was well torqued up!
The splines are probably a bit worn on the Tranny but I dont want to take it (the Tranny) apart to fit a new splined shaft if I can help it. I know there is a lever available at $300 in the US from a guy who manufactures them.
His lever has 2 bolts each side which makes tightening a lot easier and stronger but at 300 bucks + shipping to UK its too expensive for me. I have the Tranny out and on a bench so access isnt a problem. Any ideas or suggestions?

Last edited by BungoBill; 10-31-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:59 PM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,368 Likes on 971 Posts

I guess you could do that. How about taking teflon tape and wrapping the spline with it to make the shift lever have a tighter fit?

Old 10-31-2013, 01:05 PM
BungoBill
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Scudda
I guess you could do that. How about taking teflon tape and wrapping the spline with it to make the shift lever have a tighter fit?
Thats a possibility. I just want to make sure that this time the problem is fixed for good.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:32 PM
bluharley
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've thought of doing that, I have the same problem. I've got a bite on it now, has been holding for years, but when it goes, it will be done. The lever you mention is the Better Lever, $200-$300. When I get to that point, I don't know what I'm going to do. I don't know what kind of a job it is to replace that shaft, but I'd price it at a shop and compare to the better lever. Drilling and pinning sounds good, but.....?

Old 10-31-2013, 01:32 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 150 Likes on 83 Posts

I fixed mine for good on my 89 the following way (after failing 2 times before). The bike was a well abused police bike that had many years of service and the splines on the shaft on the tranny were a beat up from years of neglecting the loose shifter shaft.

Removed old shifter shaft and cleaned trans splines. Put new shifter shaft on and used Green locktite ( used to hold bearing races in place). Put a regular hex bolt on the new shifter shaft that was longer than stock with red locktight. Tighten it down and had lots of thread remaining. Put a self locking nut on end of bolt with red locktight and then trimmed the remaining threads of the bolt off.

Test fit the inner primary and needed to trim a little from it to clear the longer bolt and nut.

Never came loose again, ran it for 10's of thousands of miles and many years till I sold it and got a new ride.

Last edited by 89FLHT; 10-31-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:37 PM
bluharley
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 89FLHT
I fixed mine for good on my 89 the following way (after failing 2 times before). The bike was a well abused police bike that had many years of service and the splines on the shaft on the tranny were a beat up from years of neglecting the loose shifter shaft.

Removed old shifter shaft and cleaned trans splines. Put new shifter shaft on and used Green locktite ( used to hold bearing races in place). Put a regular hex bolt on the new shifter shaft that was longer than stock with red locktight. Tighten it down and had lots of thread remaining. Put a self locking nut on end of bolt with red locktight and then trimmed the remaing threads of the bolt off.

Test fit the inner primary and needed to trim a little from it to clear the longer bolt and nut.

Never came loose again, ran it for 10's of thousands of miles and many years till I sold it and got a new ride.

Sounds like welding might have been easier!!

Old 10-31-2013, 01:46 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member

Also - dont think it's just an old bike thing. Bought my 11 SG new, within 7k the shifter shaft was loose. Dealer tightened the old pinch bolt as part of a regular service and it looseed up on the ride home Shocking ! )

Went and got a new Grade 8 bolt, ( the old bolt had visible thread damge) some locktight and replaced the bolt and let the locktite cure overnight. Good as new now.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:49 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by bluharley
Sounds like welding might have been easier!!

Ha ! The primary was already off as I had to change the quad seal and the outer tranny seal and I had full access to the bolt, so running a longer bolt and nut and zipping the threads off with a cutting wheel was quick and easy.

If the primary was still on, this solution would not have been done. I just mentioned what I did ' cause the OP stated that his Tranny is out and on the bench.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:53 PM
bluharley
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 89FLHT
Ha ! The primary was already off as I had to change the quad seal and the outer tranny seal and I had full access to the bolt, so running a longer bolt and nut and zipping the threads off with a cutting wheel was quick and easy.

If the primary was still on, this solution would not have been done. I just mentioned what I did ' cause the OP stated that his Tranny is out and on the bench.

Yea, the position of that thing makes it impossible to work on with everything assembled. You said you replaced the shaft, was that a big deal?

Old 10-31-2013, 02:35 PM
tomfiii
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Remove the first two teeth on each side of slot as they can prevent the rest of teeth making contact.

Quick Reply: Loose Tranny lever on splined shaft.