Rain suit recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 08:57 PM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,755 Likes on 6,691 Posts
Default Rain suit recommendations

While my bike is in the shop for engine work and my seat is being reupholstered, I have been buying a few bits and pieces to make it better for long rides. I have all my bases pretty much covered for now as far as the bike goes, so I thought about what I would need personally for better long rides.

The one thing I need the most is a rain suit. Before getting my engine worked on, I was caught repeatedly in unexpected downpours which was miserable.

In the late 80's, I hade a one piece Nelson Riggs that was pretty good except for no protection on the legs to stop it from melting on hot parts. I let the suit go when I sold the bike to join the navy.

I mostly see two piece suits these days, but there are a few one piece out there. I'd really prefer a one piece.

It really doesn't get cold here and would be best if the suit was made for warm climates.

I don't have too much preference as far as styling but do prefer black with reflective portions on it. I don't care for fluorescent yellow or orange, but would not completely rule them out.

As I research this and look at various size charts, the proportions are out of whack except for the Harley branded gear. I am 5'9" with a 29" inseam. My chest is about 46". I currently weigh 214 pounds because of a diet I am on. I was previously 255. The biggest part of my stomach is about 44" due to deformity from severe scarring (the scars add 6" to 8" to my circumference). My dress shirt size is 18 1/2" 34/35.

Tour Master Elite II has been around for years and gets high praise but then I also read plenty of terrible reviews. I have been curious about the Revit Pacifica H2O due to having a very long zipper and an inner bib that covers the abdomen. Frog Toggs is another name that comes up frequently in my searches. My old Nelson Riggs was pretty good and cheap, but that was a long time ago.

I also want something that will roll up small to stick in a saddlebag.

As for as price, I was hoping for somewhere around $100.

So how about some recommendations and reasons why. My budget is very flexible but I am not going to spend $500 on a rain suit that will get limited use. It might be different if I was retired and would ride more than I do.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:04 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

I've got a Harley-Davidson Var-O-Thane 2 piece rain suit, I bought in York, PA at the factory open house. Last I looked, it was no longer offered from The MoCo. It keeps me dry, and allows the air to circulate, so I don't sweat. Combine that with a good set of rubber gauntlets and Totes pull over boots, and I have ridden for hours in the rain and kept dry.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:08 PM
mrmikey32
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is the harley one, with out the name.

http://www.motorcyclecenter.com/p/Sh...it/359652.html

Old 10-17-2013, 09:28 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 449 Posts

The only rain suit I ever had that was 100% waterproof was my Waxed Cotton Belstaff...everything I have tried since has just not been waterproof :-(

Old 10-17-2013, 09:40 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Frog Toggs!
supposedly the worst and the cheapest, price-wise too. I bought these in May and have not been wet since and they're rolled up in the oem bag in the FLTR saddlebag still untested. So, I think that they work by fending off the rain!?!?!?!? I am always on the softail which is mildly chopped with almost no storage when I get caught in the rain....
Go figure,
Tom

Old 10-17-2013, 10:27 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,056 Likes on 669 Posts

I have a Harley one and it is excellent. No water gets into that thing. I also have some shoe covers but I have no idea what brand they are. It rains and on goes the suit and I arrive dry

Old 10-18-2013, 05:06 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Spanners39
The only rain suit I ever had that was 100% waterproof was my Waxed Cotton Belstaff...everything I have tried since has just not been waterproof :-(
You're showing your age!

We Europeans routinely wear proper motorcycle suits, which these days are available with various removable linings, plus openings for cooling. Having ridden all year round for many years and in all weathers I can assure you Spanners that Belstaff and even Barbour suits wouldn't keep me dry for more than two winters. Waxed suits wouldn't keep me warm at any time!

I have a Halvarsens at present, which is super hi-tech, but not cheap. It has a UV reflecting outer, to reduce heat build-up when the sun is out, and thermal lining to reduce heat build up inside as well, plus waterproof lining. No lightweight two-piece or overall type of suit will last long, if used frequently, in my experience.

As for Prot's question, in my long experience with over half a million miles in North European conditions, a purpose made modern bike suit is preferable to any lightweight packaway style waterproof. If you are confident of needing it infrequently one may well do, but for long term use look at alternatives.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:08 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Trojan's always worked for me...oh wait, you mean the "other" rain coats. Then it's the balled-up HD one I got for $100. Fits nicely in bag and works fine for the 1-2 times a year I need it.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:29 AM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 960 Likes on 569 Posts

Tourmaster Elite II user here .Very satisfied with the gear, keeps me dry and the jacket is sorta insulated, good down into the 40*s. The reflective piping really jumps when light hits it...

Old 10-18-2013, 10:32 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Oh, lemme go check............

Whew! for a second there I thought I had mistakenly checked into the Touring section.

Quick Reply: Rain suit recommendations