EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Rain suit recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 09:31 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

Rain Gear basics:

Suits: I like two piece suits. Bibs, and jacket. Jacket needs to have a collar that fits snug around your neck and sleeves that close snug around your wrists. More on this later. When it starts to look like rain, you can put the bibs and the over boots on, and then it's just a quick stop to put the jacket and gloves on. Trust me, there is not always an overpass available when you need one. The drawback to my present suit is that it is a warm weather suit. It does not stop the wind, which is great in warm weather, as it prevents sweating. Not so great at 70 mph, when it's 39 degrees out. It does fit over all my layered clothing and leather. Well it did, before I got fat...

Boots: I wear Rocky Eliminator boots normally when riding. They are all day comfortable riding and walking. They are supposedly waterproof. Maybe if just standing out in the rain, or the occasional quick step into a puddle. They are not waterproof at 70 mph in the hard rain. I carry a set of Totes 'over boots'. They used to make a model called The Motorcyclist, which I don't believe is available. They fold into a small size, in fact they fit inside the small rain suit bag with the suit and my other gear. If you've got really big feet (12+), you'll have to find another alternative.

Gloves: I use a set of gauntlet length, rubber chemical gloves. I put a pair of thin cotton gloves (white or brown variety) inside to prevent my hands from sweating. Both items are readily available in most stores and at truck stops (in case... well you know...). I wear the gloves inside the jacket sleeves, and snug down the wrist straps on the jacket. Having no fairing on my bike, I discovered that rain drops at 70 mph, sting when they hit bare cold hands.

Helmet: Whether you chose to wear one or are legally required to wear one, you need to have something that won't cause you problems when wet. I wear a half helmet, not a full face. I also wear eye protection in the rain, even though I have a full windshield. Rain drops at 70 mph hitting you in the eye hurt. I either have my wraparound sunglasses or a pair of wraparound clear safety glasses on.

The one piece of gear I lack, is a scuba diver's cape. I need to get a dry suit cape that I can wear under the helmet, and over the collar of the rain suit. This will prevent rain from working it's way down your head, inside your collar, and getting you soaked from the inside out.

I've done some serious miles, in serious rain, while wearing the above gear. I've always arrived dry. All this gear fits nicely into the pouch designed for the rain suit, and takes up little space in the high side saddle bag.

Trust me, I've been wet and I've been dry. I prefer dry.

Last edited by Hackd; 10-18-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:14 PM
cowboy 51
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just blow dry never have owed a rain suite

Old 10-18-2013, 11:49 PM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,752 Likes on 6,690 Posts

I sent an email to Dennis Kirk asking for help with sizing along with some questions about the tour master elite II one piece suit. I wish I could find a place around here to try it on. The good thing is Dennis Kirk has a very good return policy. I returned the mustang seat I bought from them without any hassle.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:04 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member

As I commented, I don't like one piece suits. I find they are difficult to put on and remove. Go to a motorcycle store, have your riding gear on, try putting one on. And removing it. If you can do it without falling over, or sitting down, or having it sprawled all over the floor, then you probably won't have any problems under an overpass. Or in a parking lot.

In addition, with a two piece suit you have more wear options. The jacket can be worn (or carried) separately. Put the bibs on, if you think it might rain 'down the road', and then a quick stop to put the jacket on. And it's doesn't all lie on the **** soaked concrete floor, in some public restroom, when you got to take a crap.

When you get older, ya think about this stuff....

Old 10-19-2013, 07:11 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by ironoxide
Come on GR, that makes too much sense. We like to suffer over here, it's part of the image damn it!
I'm only envious! The notion of getting 'blown dry' while riding isn't anything I could ever expect to experience, at least not over here!

Originally Posted by Hackd
When you get older, ya think about this stuff....
You've obviously been around! If there is one available I use the disabled cubicle - much more space to fight and wrestle out of riding gear and plenty of handles to hold onto!

Old 10-19-2013, 07:26 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
If there is one available I use the disabled cubicle - much more space to fight and wrestle out of riding gear and plenty of handles to hold onto!
I've never seen a Port-A-John (don't know what you Brits call them) that was handicap accessible. Or clean for that matter. There probably are some, but not at the events I've attended.

Last edited by Hackd; 10-19-2013 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:54 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by Hackd
I've never seen a Port-A-John (don't know what you Brits call them) that was handicap accessible. Or clean for that matter. There probably are some, but not at the events I've attended.
Portaloo - cultural stuff this!

I was thinking more of facilities at service stations and the sort of places we might stop at along the way. Can't say I've seen any on my modest travels in North America, but they are common over here. More space (for turning a wheel chair and everything self contained. Just perfect for the dressed up or wet biker!

Old 10-19-2013, 08:24 AM
kokemill
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

I use a windshield, FF helmet, waterproof HD booties/gaiters and a Black Gortex 2 piece rainsuit from Marmot. I sealed the inside seams with waterproof tent sealer. The suit has some give and it fits tight over leathers so there is no flapping in the wind. I use rubber gardening gloves over liners to keep my hands dry. This was a tip from an 83 year young woman I met in Bangor who had just ridden in on her trike from Oklahoma City. I have ridden in some extreme rain, since i'm stupid, and never get wet. All items pack down to the size of a water bottle if you pack with both feet.

It took me years to figure out that when your visor is covered in rain if you turn your head sideways for 2 seconds at 60 the wind will clear it instantly. How come that is not in the instructions?

My wife tells me that I will be getting the suit that mrmikey32 recommends.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:47 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
Portaloo - cultural stuff this!
That would've been my first guess....

I've been to a few bikeweeks, when it's rained from Sunday until Saturday. So slogging around in my rain gear from bar to bar is 'de rigueur' (hows that for a bit of culture...).

I won't let a bit of moisture get in the way of my beer drinking and partying...

Old 10-19-2013, 05:30 PM
HarDlife
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cowboy 51
I just blow dry never have owed a rain suite
Same here. I just endure it, or more preferably, avoid it.

Quick Reply: Rain suit recommendations