EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Rain suit recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 10:55 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

Some of tour far and wide on our Evos, in all weathers, even (whisper it) in the company of BMW owners......

Old 10-18-2013, 10:58 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

I just keep my leather jacket and chaps oiled up and that works well enough for me.
In my experience you are dry again about 10 miles the other side of the rain.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:05 PM
grbrown
Club Member

We got so wet one day, travelling about 250 miles from the Czech Republic into Germany, with heavy rain all the way, that while we were dry and warm inside, the exteriors of our riding suits were so wet we had them tumble-dried, so we could set off the following day in reasonable comfort. There ain't no leather suit will deal with those conditions.......

Old 10-18-2013, 01:17 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
We got so wet one day, travelling about 250 miles from the Czech Republic into Germany, with heavy rain all the way, that while we were dry and warm inside, the exteriors of our riding suits were so wet we had them tumble-dried, so we could set off the following day in reasonable comfort. There ain't no leather suit will deal with those conditions.......
You tumble dried canvas or plastic?

Going to Arizona one year I hit 3 monsoons.
You know those desert storms where they get all their water for the year.
It seemed like the drops were the size of dinner plates.

10 miles on the other side of the storms I was dry again.
A rain suit I just ain't worried about.

Granted the windshield helped a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-18-2013, 01:24 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Red face

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
You tumble dried canvas or plastic?
Neither - modern hi-tech suits that include kevlar and other fancy stuff to provide warm storm-proof kit. No way would I expect to get wet on many of the journeys I have ridden over the years and expect to survive the experience, let alone dry out! We enjoy or endure quite different weather conditions!

Old 10-18-2013, 07:01 PM
Prot
Club Member
Received 15,752 Likes on 6,690 Posts

Originally Posted by Beemervet
Oh, lemme go check............

Whew! for a second there I thought I had mistakenly checked into the Touring section.
Well a Heritage is the touring softail. Yes, it is an evo with a carburetor.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:37 PM
Jasper86
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

ive got the harley suit, and it has its ups and downs. when we went to NC a month or so ago, we got caught in a 2 hour monsoon coming through gettysburg. one guy wearing an OLD mock suit, me in my fairly new hiviz suit, and our buddy joe in his carhartt suit (work-provided)

old mock suit got wet crotch, and wet anywhere near a zipper

i stayed dry once I zipped the jacket up all the way...my gaiters works perfectly (below the knees i was bone dry), but the water pooling between my legs on the seat leached through in ~ 15-20min, and ended up looking like a teenager at his first tittybar

our buddy joe stayed BONE dry from the stomach down. his carhartt jacket wasnt set up for riding (mostly around the neck), but the pants worked FLAWLESSLY. im giving some serious thought to picking up a pair of those pants.

i rarely take my rain gear out. I brought it on the trip because we had to ride, rain or shine, to keep on any sort of schedule. even getting swamp ***, it beat the hell out of the alternative.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:25 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasper86
ive got the harley suit, and it has its ups and downs. when we went to NC a month or so ago, we got caught in a 2 hour monsoon coming through gettysburg. one guy wearing an OLD mock suit, me in my fairly new hiviz suit, and our buddy joe in his carhartt suit (work-provided)

old mock suit got wet crotch, and wet anywhere near a zipper

i stayed dry once I zipped the jacket up all the way...my gaiters works perfectly (below the knees i was bone dry), but the water pooling between my legs on the seat leached through in ~ 15-20min, and ended up looking like a teenager at his first tittybar

our buddy joe stayed BONE dry from the stomach down. his carhartt jacket wasnt set up for riding (mostly around the neck), but the pants worked FLAWLESSLY. im giving some serious thought to picking up a pair of those pants.

i rarely take my rain gear out. I brought it on the trip because we had to ride, rain or shine, to keep on any sort of schedule. even getting swamp ***, it beat the hell out of the alternative.
Carhartt make several models of pants...do you know which model his are?

Old 10-18-2013, 08:39 PM
ironoxide
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Ha!

Originally Posted by grbrown
You're showing your age!

We Europeans routinely wear proper motorcycle suits, which these days are available with various removable linings, plus openings for cooling. Having ridden all year round for many years and in all weathers I can assure you Spanners that Belstaff and even Barbour suits wouldn't keep me dry for more than two winters. Waxed suits wouldn't keep me warm at any time!

I have a Halvarsens at present, which is super hi-tech, but not cheap. It has a UV reflecting outer, to reduce heat build-up when the sun is out, and thermal lining to reduce heat build up inside as well, plus waterproof lining. No lightweight two-piece or overall type of suit will last long, if used frequently, in my experience.

As for Prot's question, in my long experience with over half a million miles in North European conditions, a purpose made modern bike suit is preferable to any lightweight packaway style waterproof. If you are confident of needing it infrequently one may well do, but for long term use look at alternatives.
Come on GR, that makes too much sense. We like to suffer over here, it's part of the image damn it!

Old 10-18-2013, 09:09 PM
mrmikey32
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

used this for 400 miles..

didnt get wet at all

http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/S...020_59409_1936

Quick Reply: Rain suit recommendations