EVO All Evo Model Discussion

valve float

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 08:13 PM
ironoxide
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default valve float

For those that know - cause I don't, what do you mean, "rev the engine until the valves float" - what feedback do you get from the engine that indicates floating valves? Thanks!

Old 10-03-2013, 10:13 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I believe valve float is where the engine is reving so fast the valve springs or valve train can't keep up an you lose power since the valve isn't sealed properly when the fuel mixture fires. I don't see you encountering it on a evo since it will require reving it up crazy high unless you have a high lift cam.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:18 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 846 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by langwilliams
I believe valve float is where the engine is reving so fast the valve springs or valve train can't keep up an you lose power since the valve isn't sealed properly when the fuel mixture fires. I don't see you encountering it on a evo since it will require reving it up crazy high unless you have a high lift cam.
Any Evo will do it if you take the rev-limiter off...

Old 10-03-2013, 10:26 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

Hey Spanners I hear some guys use sportster modules to get the slightly higher rev limiter an a little more aggressive spark curve. True or internet hearsay

Old 10-03-2013, 10:29 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 846 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by langwilliams
Hey Spanners I hear some guys use sportster modules to get the slightly higher rev limiter an a little more aggressive spark curve. True or internet hearsay

True, I have done it many times and it works, although the curves don't make a massive difference it does seem to make the bike a bit crisper and less hurried on the cruise.....its a cheap-as upgrade.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:42 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts

Hydraulic lifters pump up at high RPM and effectively lengthen, stock valve springs can't close the valve fast enough for the RPM. Bottom line is the valves don't close and "float" a little bit, which stops the power. Happens to my bike around 6K or so. Who needs a rev limiter?

Old 10-04-2013, 05:57 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
Hydraulic lifters pump up at high RPM and effectively lengthen, stock valve springs can't close the valve fast enough for the RPM. Bottom line is the valves don't close and "float" a little bit, which stops the power. Happens to my bike around 6K or so. Who needs a rev limiter?
So what happens?
You just sit on the side of the road waiting for your lifters to bleed down?

Old 10-04-2013, 08:20 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts

No, after the RPM's drop 'cause ya shifted, the valves seal fine again and you try again in the next gear.

Back in Shovelhead Dazes, people would replace the hydraulic lifters in their bikes with solids so you could rev them higher. I dunno if anyone does that with Evos. Haven't heard of anyone doing it. Ironhead sportsters came with solid lifters for higher RPMs without floating the valves.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:28 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,932 Likes on 19,376 Posts

Maybe easier explained by saying that the lifter doesn't remain in contact with the camshaft in the higher RPM range?

Last edited by Uncle Larry; 10-05-2013 at 03:13 PM. Reason: ?
Old 10-05-2013, 12:02 PM
HarDlife
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Maybe easier explained by saying that the lifter doesn't remain in contact with the camshaft in the higher RPM range.
The lifter remains in contact with the cam (that would be very bad if it didn't, lol). It's the valve that doesn't close fully and contact the valve seat when it should, allowing compression to escape through the partially opened valve, and effectively reducing power. It is just as it sounds, the valve is "floating" above the valve seat surface during this event, never fully closing until you back off the revs and the lifter bleeds off the excess pressure. Think of it as a "mechanical rev limiter" if you will.

Quick Reply: valve float