EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Nology Hot Plugs- anyone have them on their Evo

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 11:44 PM
TheBanditColorado
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nology Hot Plugs- anyone have them on their Evo

They claim to burn 300 times the strength of a stock spark plug wire.
Gonna order some, they cost about $70 I gather.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:12 AM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,779 Likes on 6,696 Posts

Will your engine suddenly produce 300 times the horsepower?

In all honesty, if the spark is enough to ignite the fuel air mixture, then it's not much more complicated than that when it comes to spark plugs.
There are a few things that matter though.

Heat range-self explanatory
Electrode Materials-Affects wear/longevity and to some degree electricity's ability to jump the gap
Resistance-non-resistor or low resistance plugs may cause problems with some electronics on a vehicle but may allow electricity to jump the gap easier
Gap-obvious what this is but without getting into details generally cooler temperatures may allow a slightly larger gap to be run which may be slightly more efficient at igniting the mixture
Electrode size/shape-small needle like electrodes may be slightly more efficient due to less energy required to jump the gap but they are more easily fouled especially in old high mileage engines in which case a large electrode is preferable
Beyond that, most anything else is high dollar gimmicks. Good spark plugs will adhere to their design specifications closely and consistently with very little variance between individual plugs.

I have never heard of that brand but I have seen so many gimmicks over the years. Most major brands are good and asking what is the best is like asking what is the best oil.

Let us know it turns out or if the performance increase you feel is only from a lighter wallet.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:20 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 840 Likes on 451 Posts

Good reply Prot.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:45 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

I think the OP's talking about the wires, not the sparkplugs. Nology Silver plugs are only around $10 each.

My bike's 20+ years old, still has the original HD wires. Starts and runs great. Don't see a need to add any Bling-Bling in that area.

Last edited by Hackd; 10-03-2013 at 04:49 AM.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:57 AM
TheBanditColorado
Tourer

Yes the wires. But after searching the forum there aren't any instances of people liking them. I got a book that shows dyno curves on a stock evo with just different wires from like 8 different manufacturers and it was compelling. I will post a pic later.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:10 AM
TheBanditColorado
Tourer

I guess this crap is BS so I will save my cash for something else... maybe some cold weather riding cloths. Its getting down to freezing here in Colorado this weekend

Old 10-03-2013, 07:05 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member

Buy some winter gauntlets. Probably a better use of that $70.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:33 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,911 Likes on 1,426 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBanditColorado
I guess this crap is BS so I will save my cash for something else...
That's the correct answer. The Nology stuff was popular in the ricer car scene about 15 years ago, until people realized it was all BS and actually worse than running the proper wires. And that store demo thing was rigged with 2 different coils or 2 different power settings or something so that the Nology side looked like it did more than the non-Nology side. In other words, I think "fraudulant" fit their marketing philosophy. Magnecor make good wires, if you need some new ones.

Oh, and for the cold riding gloves, my "top level" of glove is a ski mitten set I bought at an outfitter in Alaska. Down filled. They look like small boxing gloves. Those and some snow mobile liners underneath and my hands are good to 70MPH at 15 degrees F, which I've done.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:32 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
...for the cold riding gloves, my "top level" of glove is a ski mitten set I bought at an outfitter in Alaska. Down filled. They look like small boxing gloves. Those and some snow mobile liners underneath and my hands are good to 70MPH at 15 degrees F, which I've done.
You're a better man than I. Lowest temps I've ever been forced to ride in were in the high 20's. And there was a lot of sunshine to keep all the black leather warm. Still colder than a well digger's ***, or a witch's ***...

Old 10-03-2013, 09:44 AM
AShovel
Novice

Originally Posted by TheBanditColorado
Yes the wires. But after searching the forum there aren't any instances of people liking them. I got a book that shows dyno curves on a stock evo with just different wires from like 8 different manufacturers and it was compelling. I will post a pic later.
Post that up! There is a difference in wire quilty! I run them and like them!

Is there any power advantage? Nope will that wire last a long time vs your 10 year old wires? Yep! If your looking for the best performing wire after 10 years you need new ones no matter what wire you run evan the Nology!

BTW look at some top fuel harleys I bet you find someone running Nology's