Roller rockers

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 11:22 AM
LowriderHarold
Road Captain
Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Broad Generalization

Originally Posted by Inspector 12
The 120R comes with a .658 lift cam in it so the roller rockers are a good option. As to "loud", when it comes to valve train noise the level of noise is relative to the individual. The valve train on this bike isn't quite by any stretch but after years of being around hot rods, high performance cams generally are not sewing machine quiet.

No regrets about spending the money for the roller rockers or forged rocker supports, just didn't want the OP to be disappointed when the valve train ended up being as loud as or louder than stock.
My apologies to the op for my statement about the noise level of the roller rockers. They do NOT sound like a finely tuned sewing machine. And you are also correct about your statement:

Quote:
"As to "loud", when it comes to valve train noise the level of noise is relative to the individual"

I , also, have been around hot rods for quite a number of years & am very well aware of excess noise , high performance parts can generate. "You don't get something for nothing."

This statement by you "Roller rockers are noisier than "normal" rockers" is also a broad generalization . They may be in your case, but with the parts the op listed , I know from experience, & still stand by my original statement that the S&S roller rocker arms, used with a high lift cam, are NO noisier than a EV-13 with stock rocker arms. I have used, both set-ups.
Having said that , here's a short video of my bike , made about a month ago. S&S roller rocker arms, V-Thunder EVL-5005, .569 lift cam, S&S Replacement heads, .020 forged Wiseco pistons, with static compression about 9.21:1. You will hear a faint metalic rattle in the video, but that's just one of the connections in the Vance & Hines exhaust I have not tightened up.

So, in summing it up:
Will there be noise if the op adds roller rocker arms? Sure as hell will.
Will it be noisier than stock? I don't think so.
Are they worth the extra cost? Only the op can decide that.
One other note to the op: If you do install the roller rockers, you WILL have to clearance your stock covers.
Also your comparing a highly modified twinkie to a more subtle evo motor, broad generalization.

Ride Safe,
Harold

Old 09-25-2013, 05:30 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts

I could be wrong but I dont think these roller rockers are loud .

Last edited by aces&8s; 09-25-2013 at 05:33 PM.