Not starting

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 08:41 PM
machinehed
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default no contact.

Originally Posted by 1960lespaul
No lights. I will get out tomorrow and put a battery charger on it and check the % of charge. The battery is new so if it is low what would be the cause. The last timew it stared it was on a tender.
If the battery is new/good then that is not your problem.
Check your ign. switch for power feed to your bikes systems.
Try a shot of WD40 or anything of your choise directly into the key slot of the ign. switch . Insert the key and work the switch back and forth to clean the ign. switch .
Let us know what you find.?

Old 10-12-2013, 05:22 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

As an aside, when buying a new battery either take the bike out for a long run (like a whole tankful), to give it a good charge up, or put it on a battery charger overnight. They are often described as 'fully charged' but are not in reality. That will give it a good start in life.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:57 PM
1960lespaul
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Battery had a 100% charge. Had it on the tender for a while went out and started great twice. Took it for a ride. Got home and tried staring and it was dead. No lights but radio worked. Like a dork I left the key ignition on but all accessories were off. Battery was @ 16% Tried to charged but when I went but from being on charger overnight the charger had BAD BATTERY message on it. Tried to charge again and was down to 11%. Something draining the battery. Did my leaving the ignition switch on kill it. I was having issues before that.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:46 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 449 Posts

You need to test the battery off the bike, charge it off the bike and on

Old 10-16-2013, 02:54 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Red face

Battery had a 100% charge. Had it on the tender for a while went out and started great twice. Took it for a ride. Got home and tried staring and it was dead. No lights but radio worked. Like a dork I left the key ignition on but all accessories were off. Battery was @ 16% Tried to charged but when I went but from being on charger overnight the charger had BAD BATTERY message on it. Tried to charge again and was down to 11%. Something draining the battery. Did my leaving the ignition switch on kill it. I was having issues before that.
So because I am crazy busy I have not had time to look at this.
Until you are able to spend some time on this we are not going to be able to make much progress. When charging your battery, take it off the bike. If it becomes discharged, disconnect it from the bike, to avoid further drain. Leaving the battery connected while you are not using the bike risks killing it.

We've already made suggestions about identifying possible electrical problems and we really need you to spend some time tracking them down. This is not going to heal itself by magic! If you are unable to make that time then find yourself a local friendly indy.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:39 PM
fatty 95
Advanced

check your grounds. i have found in the past that when weard things happen its always a ground. maybe loosing a ground when riding and not charging at all. charge the battery out of the bike like others have suggested and then check the voltage just before you put it back in. after install check the voltage before you turn anything on. should be the same if not i would check the voltage regulator. could be burnt up and drawing small amount of voltage causing dead battery by morning

Old 05-07-2014, 06:34 PM
1960lespaul
Advanced

So it is warm and I am back to wanting this fixed. I am a real estate agent and can get crazy busy but I am committed to getting this fixed. I have another bike I have been riding in the mean time. So let me re-state what has happened so everyone need not go back and read. Bike is a 1998 EG. Fuel injected.

The bike one day started to be sluggish starting. I assumed it was the battery. When it died I went to buy another. Installed and fired strong. Went for a ride and come home. Tried restarting. Dead. Battery @ low %. Charged battery and the previous scenario played out exactly. Bike killed battery again so I charged the battery up and wait for warm weather. Months go by and today I check battery and @ 95%. Battery was not in bike. If battery is left on the bike it dies. I did put it back in and try to start but wouldn't do it. Turned over great.Not bad for sitting so long. I check the fuses as someone had mentioned and the 8 on the left side are all good. Are there any more? Someone asked if the lights came on a yes they did.

Now for some background on what I have done on the bike. I had Harley take off the tour pack and wrap the wires and tuck under the seat. I myself have replaced the front and rear turn signals with aftermarket stuff, rear tail light aftermarket and front fender light. I rode the bike plenty afterward and since the lights are working and no blown fuses and am guessing what I did is not the problem.

My experience level in working on bikes in between beginner and moderate. I have done lots of brakes jobs and changed inner / outer tie rod ends with directions. Did a lot of wrenching on my learner Cruiser. A Suzuki Marauder. Buddy owns now and still runs great. I have done the previous mentioned on the HD not to mention replacing all the chrome. But none of that may help me when it comes to this problem. I like to fix my own bike. I take pride in that but I always try to have some sort of direction / help. If you all think this is above my pay grade let me know now and I will trailer it to the dealer. I trust your advice.

Last edited by 1960lespaul; 05-07-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:52 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,849 Likes on 3,018 Posts

take the 12 volt plus wire off the voltage regulator at the circut braker - you will find the battery stays charged - the regulators diode is leaking and that acts like a trunk light on after the trunk on you car is closed

you will need to replace the regulator - you can switch the plus all the time wire to a key on wire but it will fail when your on a long ride

Old 05-07-2014, 06:53 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Start by checking your charging system, instructions above in a sticky. Once you know about that one way or the other, it's time to find the drain. Someone here fluent in electric circuits will have to help with that. I had one two years ago that I still have nightmares about. (It was the radio).

Old 05-07-2014, 07:11 PM
1960lespaul
Advanced

Thanks John! So like in a car when the Alternator drags on the battery? Makes sense. I was flipping through the manual and saw a pic of the VR before I made my post and thought that could be the culprit. You mentioned circuit breakers but mine has the fuses. 6 in one hand half a dozen in the other? Does your test still apply?

Bee I am going to check my charging system as well

Quick Reply: Not starting