EVO All Evo Model Discussion

97 FLSTS head shake

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 02:52 PM
Sarge1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 FLSTS head shake

I had new tires put on my 97 FLSTS and I now have pretty bad head shake ondeceleration. I did not notice it prior to changing the tires, but I had notridden it much either(I got two bikes). Since then, my local shop (who changed the tires) foundbad neck bearings and replaced. The shake is still there. They rebalanced thefront tire, checked wheel bearings and even swapped out the rear tire. I stillhave the same thing. Other than the rockers... I don't have a clue what itcould be. The bike has never been wrecked, dropped, kicked, etc. Anyone haveany ideas?

Thanks

Old 09-18-2013, 03:09 PM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,815 Likes on 6,704 Posts

The front brake rotor is warped or loose.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:41 PM
Jasper86
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

replacing neck bearings doesnt mean they dont loosen up. lock the front brake and rock her back and forth. see if you can feel any play (helps to have a friend put a finger on the neck under the trees to feel for it too). I recently stripped mine apart to clean/repack the bearings, and it all loosened back up afterwards (I assume the bearings "set" completely once i rode it around a bit).

Old 09-18-2013, 04:30 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 849 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasper86
replacing neck bearings doesnt mean they dont loosen up. lock the front brake and rock her back and forth. see if you can feel any play (helps to have a friend put a finger on the neck under the trees to feel for it too). I recently stripped mine apart to clean/repack the bearings, and it all loosened back up afterwards (I assume the bearings "set" completely once i rode it around a bit).

This only happens if they are not fitted properly in the first place, some people don't seat the races correctly before reassembly.

I would remove the balance weights from the wheel and test again.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:58 PM
ironoxide
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I like Cherrios

Has anyone heard of a FLSTS standing up in a corner and tracking into the oncoming lane? I had a bud who claimed that it happened twice on his 98'. He sold it soon after. Don't get me wrong, I'm not posting this to **** on anyone's Cherrios, but in the interest of safety, can this be possible with a springer front end? That said, in my opinion the FLSTS is the best looking model HD ever produced. Many believe that this is true, as currently this model commands a high resale price. I'd like to own one, big time, but I promised my wife that I'd only be a "one bike" owner for now.

Head shake, yes, I have a little on decal, but that been true of all the bikes, no matter what brand, that I've ever owned.

Last edited by ironoxide; 09-18-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:41 PM
1sandking1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suspect loose spokes either front or rear wheels, check those

Old 09-24-2013, 06:26 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,770 Likes on 2,020 Posts

Are you sure you have checked the rocker bearings on the springer front end for proper adjustment?

Old 09-25-2013, 04:24 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

What brand of tyres are you using? While I don't believe they will cause the symptoms you describe, if you are using non-stock tyres make sure you are using the correct pressures. Visit the brand's website for their recommendations. Every little helps!

Old 09-25-2013, 02:43 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

i would start at the rear wheel looking for loose spokes.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:49 PM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ironoxide
Has anyone heard of a FLSTS standing up in a corner and tracking into the oncoming lane? I had a bud who claimed that it happened twice on his 98'. He sold it soon after. Don't get me wrong, I'm not posting this to **** on anyone's Cherrios, but in the interest of safety, can this be possible with a springer front end? That said, in my opinion the FLSTS is the best looking model HD ever produced. Many believe that this is true, as currently this model commands a high resale price. I'd like to own one, big time, but I promised my wife that I'd only be a "one bike" owner for now.

Head shake, yes, I have a little on decal, but that been true of all the bikes, no matter what brand, that I've ever owned.
I've heard of alot of bikes doing that if you're gassing it to hard and early in the curve, nature of the beast

Quick Reply: 97 FLSTS head shake