EVO All Evo Model Discussion

bent rim need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013 | 10:25 AM
beakerztoyz
|
Tourer
Default bent rim need advice

So in the course of my weekend ride I bent the front rim on my 95 bad boy, it is a 21x2.15 inch 40 spoke wheel. The tire on it still holds air and it got me home but it needs to be replaced.

So I noticed on J&P s website that I could either buy the whole wheel, or just the outer rim and I'm kind of wondering which way to go, I just had the bearings in my existing one redone last year so that s not a plus on getting a new rim.

Would it be really tricky to just undo the spokes from the existing rim and atatch them to the new rim? I will go talk to my indy and see what he says but I'm thinking if i have to pay them to lace the wheel it might b cheaper just to buy a new one, however if I can lace the wheel then I would go the other route. Which way would you guys suggest going??

Also, while the big dollar wheels are kind of out of the budget is there any good places to shop online other than J&P. Thanks

Old 09-11-2013 | 10:41 AM
Slammed-N-Senseless
Tourer

How is it bent? Is the wheel bent on the edge where the tire seals? Or, is it out of true so it now wobbles? If it it is out of true, that can be fixed by adjusting the spokes. If you need a new rim because of lip damage, then just buy a new rim and re-lace it.

Old 09-11-2013 | 10:45 AM
Slammed-N-Senseless
Tourer

Originally Posted by beakerztoyz
Also, while the big dollar wheels are kind of out of the budget is there any good places to shop online other than J&P. Thanks
Fleabay

Old 09-11-2013 | 12:34 PM
2006FLST
Road Master

The front rim on my FXSTC was rusted bad and my rear was awful. So I replaced both with steel hub chrome ultima wheels (ebay specials). Now knowing that these are cheap wheels I did a few things with them to ensure they would be safe and look good. First the common areas for surface rust on spokes I covered with clear coat using a brush. I know this is very annoying BUT these wheels only cost me about $120 a pop. Next (and the most important) I replaced the no name bearings with timkin bearings, repacked and checked end play even though the package states end play is good. After two years they run good and zero surface rust even after many rain storms. And of course I routinely check my spoke tension.

Old 09-11-2013 | 01:26 PM
Slammed-N-Senseless
Tourer

Originally Posted by 2006FLST
The front rim on my FXSTC was rusted bad and my rear was awful. So I replaced both with steel hub chrome ultima wheels (ebay specials). Now knowing that these are cheap wheels I did a few things with them to ensure they would be safe and look good. First the common areas for surface rust on spokes I covered with clear coat using a brush. I know this is very annoying BUT these wheels only cost me about $120 a pop. Next (and the most important) I replaced the no name bearings with timkin bearings, repacked and checked end play even though the package states end play is good. After two years they run good and zero surface rust even after many rain storms. And of course I routinely check my spoke tension.
Are those the ones in the picture? They look good man.

Old 09-11-2013 | 02:01 PM
beakerztoyz
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Slammed-N-Senseless
How is it bent? Is the wheel bent on the edge where the tire seals? Or, is it out of true so it now wobbles? If it it is out of true, that can be fixed by adjusting the spokes. If you need a new rim because of lip damage, then just buy a new rim and re-lace it.
ya the lip of the wheel is bent by where the tire seals.

Old 09-11-2013 | 07:40 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by beakerztoyz
ya the lip of the wheel is bent by where the tire seals.

Have you tried a hammer?

Old 09-11-2013 | 07:55 PM
traildog
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Have you tried a hammer?
Geeze man, that's about as helpful as asking if he tried SEAFOAM........

Old 09-11-2013 | 08:15 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by traildog
Geeze man, that's about as helpful as asking if he tried SEAFOAM........

I have straightened out rims with a hammer before.
I have yet to try seafoam on one (I kinda doubt it will work though).

Old 09-11-2013 | 08:35 PM
machinehed
Road Master
Default bent lip.

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Have you tried a hammer?
To relace another wheel will cost you Big bucks.

If the damage is only to the bead area of your wheel and the wheel itself is still true , you should be able to salvage it with " YES " a hammer.!

Wheel rims are very stout and minor damage can be hammered and bent back into shape if you are carefull . You are essentially just trying to get a good surface to let the tire seal properly to the wheel rim.

Pics would help , but if the damage is not severe you should be able to repair .

If all works well the tire will keep air and a balance will show ok.

Quick Reply: bent rim need advice