EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Battery Tender Cold Storage

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 07:21 PM
Yul B. Nekst
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Battery Tender Cold Storage

Due to some recent battery issues, I installed a Schumacher Battery Maintainer. Really, same as Battery Tender, but cheaper, and I've had excellent luck with their charger. Anyway, I store my bike in my unheated garage that regularly gets to -20 in the winter. In the past I've simply taken out the battery, but now if I use the maintainer, will I have issues with it (battery) getting that cold IN the bike? It's an AGM battery.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:26 PM
Slammed-N-Senseless
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely, if you do that, it will blow the whole bike up! I suggest you ship it down to me for the winter, I'll take good care of it for you.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:32 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by Slammed-N-Senseless
Absolutely, if you do that, it will blow the whole bike up! I suggest you ship it down to me for the winter, I'll take good care of it for you.

Would that be with or without the title?

Old 08-22-2013, 07:32 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by Yul B. Nekst
Due to some recent battery issues, I installed a Schumacher Battery Maintainer. Really, same as Battery Tender, but cheaper, and I've had excellent luck with their charger. Anyway, I store my bike in my unheated garage that regularly gets to -20 in the winter. In the past I've simply taken out the battery, but now if I use the maintainer, will I have issues with it (battery) getting that cold IN the bike? It's an AGM battery.
Personally I think you will be fine.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:39 PM
Slammed-N-Senseless
Tourer

All jokes aside, I think high temperatures are more dangerous to battery charging that low tempertures, even sub-zero. I think you'll be fine also. I'm sure some of our northern friends will be able to tell us for sure. Another option is to call Schumaker tomorrow and ask them, that way you will have no doubts. That's what I would do.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:04 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There's nothing wrong erring to the side of caution, Remove the battery and put it on the gharger. Then when you reinstall it you can clean the terminals for a hopefully trouble free riding season!!!
John

Old 08-22-2013, 09:29 PM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

x2 above...minus 20 degrees, why risk it, what if something happens to the charger's power supply. I have a boat, tracktors, couple bikes, all the batteries come in and get a few days on the trickle charger each month of winter.

Ds

Old 08-23-2013, 04:17 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,864 Likes on 2,428 Posts

I would bring the battery and charger indoors if you don't ride over winter. It is possible that at those low temperatures the battery would quickly loose enough charge to kick in the charger and keep things warm, but if you have a quiet corner indoors that would be much simpler! Would also save a little electricity!

Old 08-23-2013, 05:54 AM
som69
Intermediate

Cold weather will not harm a fully charged battery, hot wx will do more harm. For many years I have stored scoot in unheated garage, in Michigan, put trickle charge on once a month, it usually runs about 10 min before going green. Battery in my softail is 6 yrs old and no problem.. ride safe..

Old 08-23-2013, 06:33 AM
Old-Evo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by som69
Cold weather will not harm a fully charged battery, hot wx will do more harm. For many years I have stored scoot in unheated garage, in Michigan, put trickle charge on once a month, it usually runs about 10 min before going green. Battery in my softail is 6 yrs old and no problem.. ride safe..
Here in Minnesota I have done the very same thing as Som69 for years and years with no trouble. And we get well below 20 degrees, let me tell you.

Quick Reply: Battery Tender Cold Storage