EVO All Evo Model Discussion

How tight does an oil fiter have to be?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 10:18 AM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 416 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by MJHJEA
You punched holes in it before you used a filter socket? That just sounds messy as hell. I bought mine from HD for $10. I have a tendency to go more than the 1/2 to 3/4 turn, so I need one every oil change.
Yep they work the best.....

Seriously how old are you? You never had a tight oil filter Just bustin on you Sounds like your just gettin to ole to ride Touring to soft tail now cant get the filter off..Yikes what next? How to put your feet down at a stop sign:icon_lo lsign:

Old 08-10-2013, 10:53 AM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Old enough to have punched holes in filters,,,,young enough to not have to put my feet down at a stop sign

Old 08-10-2013, 11:07 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

You punched holes in it before you used a filter socket? That just sounds messy as hell. I bought mine from HD for $10. I have a tendency to go more than the 1/2 to 3/4 turn, so I need one every oil change.
Punching a couple holes in the filter saves a lot of mess. Lean bike on jiffy stand and make a trough out of something (cardboard, etc...) to channel the oil into your drain pain. it prevents the oil from leaking out the base of the filter and running down your engine

Old 08-10-2013, 11:17 AM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This is true, I think most of us know that little trick I'm talking about when you unscrew it….and aren't using surgical gloves or a towel….or tin foil...yes, I am that impatient.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:52 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Old enough to have punched holes in filters,,,,young enough to not have to put my feet down at a stop sign
I thought stop signs were suggestions!!!!

Old 08-10-2013, 11:53 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

This is true, I think most of us know that little trick I'm talking about when you unscrew it….and aren't using surgical gloves or a towel….or tin foil...yes, I am that impatient.
The other option is you just don't care if a little oil drips down the front.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:18 PM
traildog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 712 Likes on 359 Posts

Unfortunately, I didn't have a filter socket to fit it....I do now though.

Originally Posted by HarDlife
I was quoting text from a 1996 EVO manual. We need it tighter than you twinkie guys to hold all that pressure and awesomeness in!!
I'm really starting to like this guy........

Originally Posted by Bumpandrun
Yep they work the best.....

Seriously how old are you? You never had a tight oil filter Just bustin on you Sounds like your just gettin to ole to ride Touring to soft tail now cant get the filter off..Yikes what next? How to put your feet down at a stop sign:icon_lo lsign:
I'm 50, and I definitely NEVER had a filter THIS tight...tight ones yes, but, I thought I was going to break the mount and everything attached to it completely off. But thanks for your insightful opinion........

Originally Posted by ynots
Punching a couple holes in the filter saves a lot of mess. Lean bike on jiffy stand and make a trough out of something (cardboard, etc...) to channel the oil into your drain pain. it prevents the oil from leaking out the base of the filter and running down your engine
Totally agree with that! The first hole I punched drained the oil nicely into a catch pan (a plastic storage lid) that I had.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:18 PM
vaham
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by traildog

The first hole I punched drained the oil nicely into a catch pan (a plastic storage lid) that I had.
FWIW... I found that cutting the bottom out of a 20 oz water bottle with the lid screwed on the top and slipping it over an already loosened filter makes it easy to grasp through the bottle and unscrew it the rest of the way, letting it slide deeper into the neck of the bottle and catching most of the oil.
Obviously that wouldn't work on a filter that had metal beavers chew raggedly through the sides of the filter..

Old 08-10-2013, 08:24 PM
traildog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 712 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by vaham
FWIW... I found that cutting the bottom out of a 20 oz water bottle with the lid screwed on the top and slipping it over an already loosened filter makes it easy to grasp through the bottle and unscrew it the rest of the way, letting it slide deeper into the neck of the bottle and catching most of the oil.
Obviously that wouldn't work on a filter that had metal beavers chew raggedly through the sides of the filter..
Excellent suggestion! I'll be using it next oil change!

Old 08-10-2013, 08:39 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,400 Likes on 2,028 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
The other option is you just don't care if a little oil drips down the front.
Which also means you don't care if your engine mount rots away.

Quick Reply: How tight does an oil fiter have to be?