EVO All Evo Model Discussion

How bad could it be...join in the speculation!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013 | 09:39 AM
cpbedor
|
Road Warrior
Default How bad could it be...join in the speculation!

Some of you will recall at the end of May, I was on a trip with my father and saw him lay my 91 FLHTC down. Crash bars took most of the slide but the bike 'appeared' to be fine. At the scene of the crash, there was some oil dripping from the rear of the primary. He ended up riding the bike home and I told him he needed to keep and eye on that drip from the primary.

Fast forward two months, the drip had stopped after two little dime size drops. I went out there yesterday to pick it up and ride it home so I could start fixing it up, fairing damage, bag damage, just the little things that I thought I needed to do to clean it back up.

I start the bike, fires right up and I'm just sitting on it while it's idling and warming up and as I back it out into the driveway I see a trail of moisture and I look in the garage where it was parked (where I started it and let it idle for less than one minute) and there's a 24"x24" pool of oil on the garage floor.

I looked under the bike, there is no road rash near the primary that I can see but as soon as that thing fired it started pissing oil from somewhere behind the primary. I can't get it on a lift because it's obviously stuck out at my dads til I get a trailer but I'm now wondering what could be the end game here? Could the case have cracked? Did the slam on the left side jar something out of the transmission? Did he catch a little corner of the primary and bent the cover out so it is sitting there wide open? All I know is that I can't see anything from the ground but I thought this might be a fun little thread to fire up.

Let's get some speculation going from past experience or entertaining guesses. What's the diagnosis going to be from the mechanic when I get it to the shop and he starts pulling things apart?

The details are simple: a hard slam on the left side of the bike and a 60 foot slide on the front and rear highway bars. In perfect running condition prior to that with no leaks. I will update with any information I get. I am pretty sure this is going to be bad and so the final question remains...put the money into a 91 with 55K on the motor, running perfectly or let it rot? My old man is fine from the crash but I don't think he wants to ride ever again...I know my mother doesn't want him on anything ever again. I'm 99% sure I will fix it but I'm sure there's a point where putting 5-6K into a 91 isn't worth it anymore. I'd love to hear the opinions of the gallery. The last piece of info is that cops did show up to the scene, there is a report. I have to think this should go through insurance but is it too late? Obviously if insurance will cover the result of the crash the 111" is going in!

Old 08-04-2013 | 09:47 AM
deano360
Road Warrior

is it possible that one of the oil lines has a crack or tear in it or maybe the clamp has come loose from the slide.... i would look real close to external causes that are easy fixes before i would look into cases or anything like that,.. just a thought

Old 08-04-2013 | 10:00 AM
cpbedor
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by deano360
is it possible that one of the oil lines has a crack or tear in it or maybe the clamp has come loose from the slide.... i would look real close to external causes that are easy fixes before i would look into cases or anything like that,.. just a thought
It would make more sense that this could be the culprit because when the bike was off, she didn't leak much at all but as soon as fluids starting moving in there it came pouring out. I like it!

My problem is that the bike is 30 miles away and I can't run out with my flashlight and check it. Annoying.

Old 08-04-2013 | 10:02 AM
deano360
Road Warrior

that is a bummer deal... i would let you use my trailer, but seeing where you are i dont think thats gonna work

Old 08-04-2013 | 10:43 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

Sounds like it just wet sumped to me. They all do that (up until the top breathers, I guess.) Is there still oil in the primary? Take a look. Did the engine oil level go down a half quart or a quart?

Old 08-04-2013 | 10:47 AM
deano360
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
Sounds like it just wet sumped to me. They all do that (up until the top breathers, I guess.) Is there still oil in the primary? Take a look. Did the engine oil level go down a half quart or a quart?
good thought i was thinking along those lines to but wasnt sure on the verbage

Old 08-04-2013 | 10:49 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by cpbedor
Fast forward two months,

As said before...the bike just "sumped" from sitting that long...and the breather hose is just run behind the primary...cranking a bike would not make oil pour from the primary or trans...

Old 08-04-2013 | 11:01 AM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior

Hopefully the insurance will cover it if it's major. The police report....your Dad on it as the rider? If so, it may or may not be a factor with collecting, check your policy. But the time parameter, doesn't seem like that would be an issue. No guess from me what the repairs will be, but if substantial, hopefully you can get an insurance check for repair ( plus a little extra for a piece or two of chrome).....How's the pops by the way?

Old 08-04-2013 | 12:26 PM
1/2crazedbikr
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
I'm with Dr. Hess, sounds like it wet sumped. Has happened to me twice at first start up after having the bike down for a lengthy repair. I'd check the fluid levels
top 'em off if any are low, then have someone watch under the bike while you start it up. If it wet sumped, it should stop shortly. If it continues long enough to scare you, shut it down.

Oh, and have them watch the crankcase breather tube. If it wet sumped it should be coming out of there, right guys?

Old 08-04-2013 | 12:34 PM
Moog Player
Road Captain

Which fluid is leaking? Engine, trans or primary?

Quick Reply: How bad could it be...join in the speculation!