EVO All Evo Model Discussion

How bad could it be...join in the speculation!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013 | 06:56 PM
cpbedor
|
Road Warrior

It's not that I can't turn a wrench, it's that this has never happened so it kind of freaked me out. It's not just doing this because it sat. The bike hit the road hard so when it got picked up it started leaking. Quite simply, I don't want to do more damage than has already been done. Now everyone is saying to fire it up and let it spit. I'm sure that's a great solution but I've never done it so I'm just a little bit hesitant.

Old 08-06-2013 | 07:19 PM
Capo
Cruiser

A leak or spit or whatever you wish to call it isn't going to harm your bike unless you let it run out of oil. Why not start it and let it run for a minute and see if it stops leaking?

I needed to put a stator on my bike and it sat for a while before I could get to it. Once I got it installed and everything buttoned back up, I started it and the oil began to flow. I just about crapped my pants. Thought I really messed something up so I got on the net and read about sumping. WHAT A RELIEF!!!

Give it a start and let it run for a bit and see if it doesn't stop.

Last edited by Capo; 08-06-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-06-2013 | 07:48 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master

Originally Posted by cpbedor
It's not that I can't turn a wrench, it's that this has never happened so it kind of freaked me out.
Sorry dude, I wasn't referring to you. I know you do some wrenching, as we discussed some of it through PM's.

Old 08-06-2013 | 08:09 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
My '95 doesn't do it and sometimes she sits for quite a while.

91 FLHT has oil tank above oil pump...95 FLHT has oil tank below trans, and will not sump no matter how long it sits.

Old 08-06-2013 | 08:19 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Deleted post

Old 08-06-2013 | 09:32 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
91 FLHT has oil tank above oil pump...95 FLHT has oil tank below trans, and will not sump no matter how long it sits.

I'm glad the '95 FLHT has the oil tank below the trans but I happen to ride a '95 FLSTC which has the oil tank over the crank case but is a top breather which is what I was referring to.

Old 08-07-2013 | 04:45 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
I'm glad the '95 FLHT has the oil tank below the trans but I happen to ride a '95 FLSTC which has the oil tank over the crank case but is a top breather which is what I was referring to.
Either way, the fact that your bike has never done it (so far) doesn`t mean it won`t...
Being a top breather has nothing to do with the oil draining down into the crankcases.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 08-07-2013 at 04:49 AM.
Old 08-07-2013 | 06:59 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Either way, the fact that your bike has never done it (so far) doesn`t mean it won`t...
Being a top breather has nothing to do with the oil draining down into the crankcases.

That is entirely true.

The only point I was trying to make was that my bike has sat for long periods of time and hasn't puked oil out the breather in the past 5 years. Wither it has anything to do with her being a head breather vs. crank case breather I don't know.
After reading the posts on this forum I am beginning to think that puking oil is much more common in crank case breathers than in head breathers.

Old 08-07-2013 | 07:19 AM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member

cpbedor, have you checked the oil yet to see if it is down? If it is then at least you will know it is not coming from the chain case or transmission. I would say it almost has to be coming from the engine as it does not leak when not running. Now, it could be a broken hose or loose oil filter, or maybe a few other things. But still, most likely it is just sumping which is very common. About the only other thing I can think of is that the scavenger side of the oil pump has sheared a key and is no longer pumping oil back to the oil tank. You can check that by running the engine and looking in the oil tank to see if oil is returning to the tank.

Old 08-08-2013 | 08:25 AM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior

TOM…why do you say these things? Just because someone doesn't do a lot of work on their bikes doesn't mean they no " nothing " about them. Or classic cars…I've owned several of those too….worked on them here and there just like my bikes. Saving money and the sense of accomplishment when you fix them yourself are all good…..but doesn't "always" matter…for many reasons. Time constraints just for one. But if my bike was down like cb's, I wouldn't be confident in myself "not" missing something that could be wrong….in addition to the fluid leak. That doesn't mean I don't know anything.

Quick Reply: How bad could it be...join in the speculation!