EVO All Evo Model Discussion

How bad could it be...join in the speculation!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013 | 02:39 PM
BungoBill
Road Captain

Just a suggestion....If the outer primary has been damaged the oil should still be level in the oil tank.
If the oil tank is empty ,put the bike up on your lift if you have one. Dry everything on the (underside especially) engine completely, especially oil filter & housing, oil lines etc., etc., with clean rags/cloths then fill the oil tank up a bit if it has drained.
Start her up and watch everything closely to see where oil leak is.

Old 08-05-2013 | 08:43 AM
cpbedor
|
Road Warrior

Which fluid was leaking....I have never changed my own primary or trans fluids so I don't think I could ID which is which if you spilled all three on a garage floor and I was in a panic. It was BLACK and looking like engine oil. The oil had been changed 1500 miles before now, I thought the oil would be 'less black'?

As for the future of the Classic, I'm not doing any diagnostics, especially with a quart of whatever fluid is out of it. I'm trailering it to my mechanic, he's going to get into it and we'll get some answers. My mechanic has done a lot of work for me in the past and has my full trust. I am well aware of my own engine-work capabilities, so that being said, I am leaving this one to the experts. I'll watch so I can learn but I'm not qualified to Dx what or where this problem is. Wish I could but my areas of expertise lie elsewhere. (MJ---this is where you sneak in an awesome comment about my bike expertise being solely on "paying the bill") Go for it, it's all tee'd up for you!

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I promise as soon as I know, I will document and post. Maybe some pictures could help someone more ambitious than me down the road with a similar problem! Dad's fine but I think he's done riding. That spill may have permanently damaged his psyche. Mom said on Saturday, "you need to get your bike home and you need to sell his for him". (Dad wasn't around for that conversation)

Old 08-05-2013 | 09:06 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy

No offence but I wonder if your dad made up his mind or if your mom made up his mind for him.

Old 08-05-2013 | 09:16 AM
cpbedor
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
No offence but I wonder if your dad made up his mind or if your mom made up his mind for him.
My mom has made up her mind, there's no doubt about that. I think my dad likes the idea of having a bike more than he likes having a bike. I don't care one way or another if he sells his. I do think he's done though. He's said a couple things to me that would indicate that he's ready to be done without actually saying the words, "I'm selling the bike". I'm staying out of it until he says those words to me. None of my business but I know my mom wants those bikes out of there. The only thing I want is my Classic. Fall is approaching here in Minny and I'm gonna need that big fairing to block the wind for my October rides!

Old 08-05-2013 | 11:15 AM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member

Yep, it wet sumped. You just need to run it and blow it out and refill the oil tank. No big deal.

Old 08-05-2013 | 03:05 PM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Jim Kraft
Yep, it wet sumped. You just need to run it and blow it out and refill the oil tank. No big deal.
Agree. I'd be more surprised if it didn't puke out a quart or so. Don't trailer it..... Top it off and ride it.

Old 08-05-2013 | 04:25 PM
cpbedor
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Owtlaw
Agree. I'd be more surprised if it didn't puke out a quart or so. Don't trailer it..... Top it off and ride it.
So run it until when? it stops coming out? at that time, shut it down and refill? I suppose if it keeps coming out we discover there's a different problem? I guess I'm not sure how this works. It's already puked out what looked like a quart or more. Scary.

Old 08-05-2013 | 05:51 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by cpbedor
So run it until when? it stops coming out? at that time, shut it down and refill? I suppose if it keeps coming out we discover there's a different problem? I guess I'm not sure how this works. It's already puked out what looked like a quart or more. Scary.
When you put oil on the floor it looks like a lot more than it really is.

Fire it up again and see if it pukes out the same amount.
I bet it won't.

Old 08-05-2013 | 05:52 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

If you want to make sure it is just wet sumped keep an eye on the breather hose when you start it.

Old 08-05-2013 | 06:37 PM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior

CB, got noth'n for ya on this one. What you're doing is "exactly" what I would be doing if it was my bike. I would want it checked out thoroughly. You have a good relationship with your mechanic, I hope he'll tell you it's something minor like some of the responses. But I would be thinking the worse to, just like you. The insurance route....good chance you could pull youself outa this one if it's a costly repair. I'll save the chrome etc. comments for later if I need them.

Quick Reply: How bad could it be...join in the speculation!