EVO All Evo Model Discussion

gas cap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 09:13 PM
pc100
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas cap?

i have just got a 89 heritage classic ,it has the split tanks the gas cap on the right open fine screws off an you can hear the vacuum release , but the gas cap on the left will not come off just turns i read where its turns opposite to right side then someone told me thats ok it will fill up just using the right side . i like to put new pop up caps on it but dont want to do anything stupid like channel locks an scratch the tank any help would be great

Old 07-28-2013, 09:24 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,764 Likes on 2,016 Posts

Right hand cap=right hand thread, left hand cap=left hand thread. Yes, the tanks are connected, but you'll die of boredom waiting for the tank level to equalize through the tiny 1/4 inch crossover line. Fortunately, if the left hand cap is broken, stock style caps are available from Drag Specialties for cheap.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:27 PM
pc100
Advanced

how do i go about getting the cap off without any thing falling into the tank or scratching the tank thanks

Old 07-28-2013, 09:27 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by pc100
i have just got a 89 heritage classic ,it has the split tanks the gas cap on the right open fine screws off an you can hear the vacuum release , but the gas cap on the left will not come off just turns i read where its turns opposite to right side then someone told me thats ok it will fill up just using the right side . i like to put new pop up caps on it but dont want to do anything stupid like channel locks an scratch the tank any help would be great

You turn the left hand gas cap clockwise to get it off.

You shouldn't have a vacuum build up in your tanks.
If you do there is a problem.

If you try to fill the left tank from the right tank you will spend a lot of time sitting at the gas pump waiting for the gas to transfer.

I think the popups require welding a base ring to the tanks.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:30 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

how do i go about getting the cap off without any thing falling into the tank or scratching the tank thanks
Have you tried turning it clock wise?

If you have and it still doesn't work then tape off the tank with that blue painters tape (I'd use a couple layers) and try it then.

If the cap is broken I doubt you will get it off with channel locks you might need a grinder to cut the ratcheting top off the gas cap.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:52 PM
pc100
Advanced

yep i have tired turning clockwise an it will click but will not brake free counter clockwise just clicks freely an it does have a vacuum build up in the tank just got this not even rode it but a couple miles had a bunch of work just done on it by previous owner new top end etc an wanted to make sure my mechanic looked at at be a 1550 cc now got it back today everything check out great now trying to get it ride ready

Old 07-28-2013, 10:07 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

yep i have tired turning clockwise an it will click but will not brake free counter clockwise just clicks freely an it does have a vacuum build up in the tank just got this not even rode it but a couple miles had a bunch of work just done on it by previous owner new top end etc an wanted to make sure my mechanic looked at at be a 1550 cc now got it back today everything check out great now trying to get it ride ready
1550cc???

What bike are we talking about exactly.
An '89 FLSTC stock is a 1340cc.
Did you put in the 95 inch big bore kit?

If you are running a carb on that bike then a vacuum in the tank will cause it to starve the carb.

If the cap is turning in both directions then you will probably have to cut it off.
When you get the metal part off you will be able to grab the plastic with some channel locks and turn it.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:09 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Oh yeah don't worry about anything falling into the tank because the plastic piece that screws into the tank will prevent that.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:54 PM
pc100
Advanced

yea its has the big bore kit an a lot of everything else you can throw in it id prefer if it was just a stock 1340 with the cam an cam bearing changed but this thing has been gone through from the top to the bottom an been rode very little but broke in right but maybe 1000 easy miles if she blows i bought it right 3000 an looks like brand new an loaded with crome it has supertrapp slip on an its to quiet for me but when i look in the exhaust not sure what kind of baffles they use its not the disk type I would like to try something to get a better sound without rejetting but they had it on a dyno with this setup an very impressive but would like a little more deep rumble like my old fxr with the thunder header but want to ride it for a while to see if i like it or not .What should i check for the vacuum build up from what i under the right side is the vent side an thats the cap that come off easy when i say vacuum when i release the cap i can hear the hiss sound hope im making sense here

Last edited by pc100; 07-28-2013 at 11:21 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 07-29-2013, 06:34 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

What should i check for the vacuum build up from what i under the right side is the vent side an thats the cap that come off easy when i say vacuum when i release the cap i can hear the hiss sound hope im making sense here
Not sure if yours is the same as my '95 but mine has a vent tube coming off the right hand tank. It is on top just behind the crossover tube that goes under the speedo.

You have to pull off your dash cover to see it.

Quick Reply: gas cap?