EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Long ride comfort seat for 1986 FXSTC, does one exist?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 11:03 PM
Slammed-N-Senseless
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long ride comfort seat for 1986 FXSTC, does one exist?

Hey guy's I want to hear from all you iron men. If your idea of a nice ride is 200+ miles, then I need your help. I have a 1986 FXSTC, the seat it has on it now is brutally uncomfortable for rides more than about an hour and I love long rides. Anyone have a saddle they think is super comfortable on those all day rides? And if your answer is "get a Road King", then you can troll on by 'cause that's not what I'm looking for.

So how about it guys, what saddles do you suggest?

Last edited by Slammed-N-Senseless; 07-26-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:31 AM
wild_one
Advanced

I love my Mustang wide touring seat. Most time ive spent on it was 9+ hours in TN. I was a little sore at the end of the day but 5 or 6 hours is a walk in the park.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:28 AM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

I have alot of years and many miles on 2 FXSTCs, without a doubt the stock pillow seat is the best on your butt. If you are tall then moving the pegs forward and adding heel stirrups really help as well. I took a look at your pics, if your bike is the purple one then that seat looks a little thin.

As far as getting a different bike goes, these bikes are commonly called bar hoppers for a reason, they handle great, are light and with a little work they can really get out of there own way. But, I just added a Heritage springer to the garage, it's slower, heavier,has floorboards, big goofy front tire and it runs down the road like a Lincoln. If I'm going 200+ then you know what I'll be on..I guess I'm getting old..

Ds

Old 07-26-2013, 08:32 AM
Slammed-N-Senseless
Tourer

Originally Posted by Doug S
I have alot of years and many miles on 2 FXSTCs
I know there are other bikes that are much better suited for long rides, but other bikes aren't the STC. If you've been riding them for all these years, you know what I mean. Not that there's anything wrong with any of the other models, there all cool, just a matter of personal preference. My last seat was a gunslinger, simple and low, but my but couldn't handle it anymore. I guess I'm getting old too...but I'm fighting it every step of the way!

Old 07-26-2013, 10:04 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

A bunch of people have recommended Cee Baileys seats.
Either have yours redone or get a custom one made.

http://www.ceebaileys.com/seats/seatservmain.html

Old 07-26-2013, 01:15 PM
Slammed-N-Senseless
Tourer

Cee Baileys? I'll look into them, thanks. I have heard other great comments about the Mustang seat that Wild One recomended, I'm just having a hard time visualizing it on my STC with drag bars. Anyone ever seen one like that?

Old 07-26-2013, 08:01 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

I agree with the stock pillow seat. I am 72 years old and ride 200 to 250 miles lots of times with no problem. That seat is amazing. It was used on all the FXSTC's thru 99. I got mine off of ebay for $41.00. What the suspension does not soak up that seat takes care of.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:06 PM
Slammed-N-Senseless
Tourer

That's two votes for the stock seat. I remember when these bikes hit the dealers, along with the Heritage, in 1986. I thought the FXSTC with that two-tone engine, color matched frame, raked front end, mismatched wheels and all that chrome was just about the coolest thing on the road. In my eyes, everything about that bike, was perfect...except the pillow seat. Now I've grown to appreciate it's merits. Guess I'm not as hard as I used to be. LOL

Old 07-27-2013, 09:32 AM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

but other bikes aren't the STC
And they never will be, that's why I'm on my second one and did not get rid of it when I got the Heritage. Everytime I get on it I'm reminded why I ride and to me it's what a motorcycle is supposed to be, just plain fun.

But....

I guess I'm getting old too...but I'm fighting it every step of the way
I hear ya brother, me to. Hang tough - It's a great life if you don't weaken. The Heritage was a good move for me, I now get a ton of time off from work so there is more riding tiime. The wife is expressing a renewed interest in riding so comfort is even more important. It's just a different kind of fun and I like the old school springer frontend. I was on it 3 hours the other day and got off with no ill effects.

Watch Ebay for one of those pillow seats and good luck

Ds

Attached Thumbnails Long ride comfort seat for 1986 FXSTC, does one exist?-springer1.jpg  
Old 07-27-2013, 10:00 AM
rol427
Cruiser
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I had the top half of my stock foam replaced with softer foam and it works great. The women who did it said she has done hundreds with all good comments.

Quick Reply: Long ride comfort seat for 1986 FXSTC, does one exist?