EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Sleepy hands

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 07:25 PM
jimbo285
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sleepy hands

I don't know if it's because of my age, my (over) weight, the vibration of the solid mount Evo, or the height of the stock mini apes on the Heritage, but my hands go numb after only about 5 minutes. I thought I would get used to it, but it doesn't seem to be getting any better. I don't want to have to retire already, but I can't keep shaking my hands to wake them up all the time. Cant operate the clutch when the digits are nodding off. Does anybody think the "iso-grips" type grips will help, or is that just snake oil?

Old 07-12-2013, 07:42 PM
Da-mack
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the ISO grips but I don't have apes but I love the grips. They do dampen a lot of vibration. It sounds like the position of your bars is pinching the nerve in your wrists. The quick fix would be to just try moving the bars a bit forward or back. The next fix, the grips run about $80 but they are nice. The worst fix...you gotta do away with your apes.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:44 PM
jimbo285
Tourer

I do like the apes but maybe the top bend is a little off. Maybe I'll shop for bars so my wrist angle is straighter.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:18 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I have that problem too. the iso grips helped some, even the foam grips helped. I just put something like mini buck horns on my v rod an love these bars! I can turn them so it takes pressure off my elbows.

I think there's weights that you can put inside the ends of the bars to absorb some of the vibs too.

If I still have numbness with these bars an grips I may try the gloves with gel pad in the palm.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:00 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by langwilliams
I may try the gloves with gel pad in the palm.
I've tried the gloves. I thought it was worse with the gloves. I think my problem may be carpal tunnel syndrome , but maybe not.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:14 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

i have that problem. my hands go numb 10 minutes into riding my EG.. i just shake my hands every once and a while.. it does get annoying.. BTW, im 380 lbs, might be something to that? pinched nerve when holding arms up to bars.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:43 AM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like the start of carpal tunnel....How about when you are not riding? Need to try and keep your wrists straight as possible. I tried acupuncture and it has worked for about 4 years but coming back slowly....Trying to avoid the knife.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:55 AM
tommythecat
Cruiser

I noticed (for me anyways) that with a wider grip my hands would go numb. Also, after changing grips, thicker gloves produced the same results of numbness. Thinner grips, gloves and a throttle rocker has kept the dead hands away. ---I'm over weight too. 5'9" / 208lbs.
Good luck with that!

Old 07-13-2013, 10:58 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I think the mini buck horns help with the carpal T issues. I turned them so the grips kinda face down slightly which puts my hands at a natural angle. I had 27" drag bars an they were the worst. Here's a pic to try an show the angle that works for me:

Old 07-14-2013, 05:15 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Plenty of helpful suggestions above. I don't have carpal tunnel problems, but have had various discomforts while riding over the years. What I have found is that sometimes quite minor changes can make a lot of difference.

One suggestion is that with your high bars you may be sitting very upright and gripping tight once moving, simply to hold yourself in position. As Da-mack suggests, slight movement of your bars may help you to relax your grip.

Another possibility is noise! If you have loud pipes, you may simply be gripping tight due to tension caused by the noise. The simplest way to investigate that is to wear a pair of ear plugs for a ride and see if your numbness is reduced. I discovered earplugs back in the 1970s - they are the best tuning and comfort aid out there!

Quick Reply: Sleepy hands