EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Need a little help

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 07:43 PM
riden2low
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need a little help

I have bought a 93 fatty from a small time dealer so when I got the bike I didn't know the history of it other than what was told to me by the saleman. First it is a nice ride no problem there. But I am doing some up grades and wanted to put in an andrews cam ev27 and new adjustable push rods. So the easiest way to do it is cut the old push rods out so you don't have to remove the upper end. Took off one push rod cover and low and behold, it already has adjustables in it. Now my question is how do you know if the cam is stock or after market with out tearing the cam cover off and pulling the cam?

Old 02-26-2007, 08:06 PM
twowheelsforever
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need a little help

As far as I know, the only way to tell (if you don't have service records) would be to pull the cam cover and pull out the cam...

Old 02-26-2007, 08:20 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

That's about it...You're gonna have to pull the cam cone and the cam...While you're at it I'd replace the cam bearing, because you never know if whoever put the new cam in replaced the crap INA bearing with a Torrington. Although it was 'common practice' back them to do the bearing swap, you never know if the person that did it 'had a clue'. Trust me...There are quite a few 'Harley Mechanics' out there that don't know the difference between a pan and a shovel. God help ya if that twin cam trained wrench worked on your EVO.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:38 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

Definatly replace the cam bearing though. It does not take any extra time and bearings are inexpensive. You are there...do it and you'll be peace of mind. Anytime you replace the cam...replace the bearing too. Just make it a rule!!

You might also want to upgrade the cylinder base gaskets as well. The stock HD ones are crappy...some aftermarket ones usually do the trick.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:12 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: EVOrider
.....You might also want to upgrade the cylinder base gaskets as well. The stock HD ones are crappy...some aftermarket ones usually do the trick.
Cyllinder base gaskets. Would that be the two gaskets at the base of each cylinder? If so, I'm guessing that if he didn't want to remove the rockers, that he wouldn't want to remove the cylinders either. And if they don't show any signs of leakage is it really worth all the hassle of changing them?

Old 02-26-2007, 09:19 PM
hotrod351
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

thats how i found out my 1990 fxstc had a cam, it had adju. pushrods. what cam, i dont know and im not going to take it apart to find out. im sure if someone put a cam in your bike its something like the andrews ev 27, anything bigger you would know it. ride it and enjoy.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:11 AM
riden2low
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys, I didn't have to think too hard about it but thought there might have been another way. Yep, going to replace the bearing for sure. But crap, have to buy the tools to do it but it is better than paying 72.00 an hour. Hmmm I wonder if the Harley dealer will rent out tools? Probably dreaming on that one. Hey, single fire or duel fire set up. I took the nose cone off and it is stock so I might go with Crane.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:51 AM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ridden2Low, if you haven't already, read this. Should give you some ideas for tools.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:12 AM
RudeDog
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

mtnlvr Date 2/26/2007 10:51:48 PM Ridden2Low, if you haven't already, read this. Should give you some ideas for tools.
Scroll down about 3/4 to the bottom for the tools I made a couple of quick measurements and some material and your good to go. The tools cost me a total of about $30.00.

I would go with a single fire. I have heard good things about the ease of set-up for the Dyna 2000 but the SE ignitions are going pretty cheap on ebay right now.
Ignition Module Screamin' Eagle 32630-96

Old 02-28-2007, 04:17 PM
twowheelsforever
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as removing the cam bearing, Autozone has a Blind Hole Puller Set (#27128) that works perfectly. They'll loan it to you, charge the full price to your credit card, and then just refund the full amount when you return it.

I used it on mine and it worked like a charm...

Quick Reply: Need a little help