EVO All Evo Model Discussion

86 electra glide tunes restored! a quick and dirty write-up.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 09:43 AM
watindes
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 86 electra glide tunes restored! a quick and dirty write-up.....

I wanted some tunes back on my ride, my original radio hadn't worked since i got the bike and the radio company would not restore the radio as it was too old. I know i could have gone with the hogtunes and a sony but that was out of my budget and I didnt care about hand controls. Total cost was $78 dollars (radio), my labor 2 hours.

What you will need:
a cutting wheel (whiz wheel)
Screwdriver (phillips)
Standard rachet and socket set

Ok so I went out and got a cheapie black marine radio equipped with bluetooth, usb and aux cables 270 watt and set it aside.

1. remove the six screws olding the rubber gasket in place and sit them and the gasket aside, you will also pull out the faceplate at this time noticing the radio is built like an older post style radio (classic car stuff)

2.Remove your windshield, headlamp and fairing

3. unplug the connections and antenna from the wires and remove the brakcet at the back of the radio.

4. remove the two bolts holding the radio to the facia and remove the radio

5.you will be left with the metal braket that held the old radio in place cut this and the plastic in front of it CAREFULLY! save the upper and lower pieces of the metal braket (the ones with the screw holes) and dont cut above the screw holes in the plastic, you will reuse these for the rubber weatherguard you took off earlier.

6. wire up you positive, negative and accessory power to the radio and the bike using the schematic on the old radio.

7. test for sound and function after installing your chosen radio.

8 you may notice it does not slide in as deep as it used to ( thats what she said!) so this is where the metla bars you saved after cutting and the rubber sleeve come in. use the cage that came with the radio to secure it in the fairing, than slide the rubber weather cover over the replacement radio and screw it in like the factory had it.

9 reassemble your fairing, headlamp and windshield and enjoy!

Jesse

Old 06-26-2013, 12:32 AM
Ken Oaff
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

nice one my 86 glide has a dead radio as well

have chanced my arm with a later radio off fleabay and hope that it will fit the glide

Old 06-26-2013, 10:25 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,910 Likes on 1,426 Posts

Ken, I doubt it will fit without cutting the steel plate. That plate is set up for radios that mount with the tuning shafts that went out of style in the 80's.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:25 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Nice write-up. A guy at the local m/c hangout paid $500 almost, for a helmet with Bluetooth. I slyly walked over to his bike and peeked to see he had a factory radio. I guess he really don't like missing calls.

$80 is a hell of a good price for tunes. Waitll you get bored of the speakers and remove the fairing for that. Lol

Old 06-27-2013, 01:02 AM
Nikaem
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

retro sound
make some nice shaft mount reproduction head units
http://www.retrosoundusa.com/