First Impressions of My New to me Evo

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 01:17 AM
JKay
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default First Impressions of My New to me Evo

Hello

As some of you may know, I bought an Evo 2 months ago but didnt get to see her till a few days ago as I was away on a work trip. Will post better pics once I have time to take some. I am too busy riding now

Ended up by the seaside yesterday after cruising around aimlessly

2 Months later I am home and have taken her out for a ride. Just a little background, shes been sat (indoors) for 8 years, with maybe the occasional ride once a year, if that. She has around 3500 miles from new

Ive replaced all fluids, and gone with HD primary oil for now, and will try ATF at some point. Finding Neutral seems to be a pain

Anyway, I am really happy with her. From the way I have to pull the choke, to the way she sounds, to the way she vibrates (yes I kinda like it), to the way she feels. I took an aimless ride yesterday just to get a feel for her, as I havent ridden much in the last 5 years due to various reasons.

Power seems adequate for now, but I have an Andrews EV27 cam sat in my bedroom ready to go on at some point.

I have a Le Pera Bare bones on the bike, and after an hour in the saddle I still feel fine, altho its clear the seats not made for comfort. I however love the look of it and feels it shows the bikes lines in a very nice way. I also have some lowering springs (Progressive) front and read I plan to put on at some point. THen thats probably as much as I will wanna do (for now), apart from replace the Hypercharger with another air cleaner.

Thanks so far for all the tips and info, I have learned a lot from here and hope to be able to contribute equally one day.

Jkay

Old 06-04-2013, 01:53 AM
nickvango
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool looking Softail, enjoy! Evo's have character. Me and my evo been together for 18 yrs.
Ride safe.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:15 AM
JKay
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks Nickvango. Ride safe

Old 06-04-2013, 03:50 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

JKay, it's good of you to stop riding long enough to write to us! You may find adjusting the clutch will give you better neutral finding, you're probably getting a little drag at present.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:00 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 449 Posts

Yay! Nice to be able to just cruise about aimlessly. Enjoy your new life!

Old 06-04-2013, 04:18 AM
ironoxide
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Nice find

IMHO Harley was at it's peak between 1995 and 1999. The evo helped to create a platform with such a unique character that truly can't be matched today. Especially the Softail-the feeback felt while riding just can't be beat! There's no doubt that Harley's current offerings are very good, but so are the offerings of all the other motorcycle manufacturers. Vehicle design, dictated by the EPA and the laws of physics, is pushing all of them in the same direction.

Last edited by ironoxide; 06-04-2013 at 04:23 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:12 AM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Goose the gas a tad while applying slight up preasure on the shifter, should pop right in...Does for me anyway...

Ds

Old 06-04-2013, 07:24 AM
unnnivers
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Very accurate and nice bike!

Speaking about finding neutral - may be it is "easy pull clutch kit" http://www.demonscycle.com/Shop/Cont...EasyPullClutch installed on the clutch inner arm. When it was installed on my bike - clutch lever was softer, but neutral finding was hardly possible. I uninstalled the kit and finding of neutral is easy up to this day.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:43 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Very Nice bike, and situation for you.

To aid in shifting to first on an EVO:

Adjust the clutch at both points ... loosen cable, adjust the mechanical adjustment behind the access cover on the primary to specs, then adjust the slack out of the cable. Typically the mechanical adjust is done by loosening the lock nut, turn the center bolt finger tight, then back off 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn. When tightening the locking nut be certain to keep the adjustment bolt in place. Take the slack out of the clutch cable, leaving about an 1/8" of slack, this is to allow the clutch to have some free play so it's not lightly engaged at all time.

Be certain there is the correct amount of fluid in the primary.

Check primary chain tension.

Activate the clutch lever several times to aid in releasing the clutch's plates

Hope this helps.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:10 AM
aliass
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh that's a real beauty and the only little fault I could find was the hyper charger I just don't like them myself . that's all I would change myself . if it was mine I would buy one of those cylinder shaped bags to tie on the carrier to carry water proofs and stuff . with only 3.5 k miles on it your a very lucky man to pick up such a fresh bike . well wear with it and ride safe and make sure to wash off the dead flies of they will eat your chrome .

Quick Reply: First Impressions of My New to me Evo