EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Trouble Starting 1996 Heritage Softail - Click But Not Turning OVer

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 05:29 PM
wdb01l
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Will this relay fix work on my 1998 FatBoy if so where can I also find the details to do this ?

Old 06-01-2013, 05:40 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,345 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Originally Posted by grey_ghost
Does anyone have a picture of that? I'm more of "see it" type of guy than a 'read it". I looked at the relay mine has a red wire with black stripe do I pull that out of the #30 relay and replace it with that wire?

My 98 fxdwg is clicking so I cleaned the copper washer and contacts in the solenoid.
Originally Posted by wdb01l
Will this relay fix work on my 1998 FatBoy if so where can I also find the details to do this ?
Look here

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...ded-click.html

Old 06-01-2013, 06:09 PM
wdb01l
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

So if I read this right I dont need to add the extra relay I can just come off my relay with a direct heavy gage wire to the pos post on the starter or battery and it will do the same for my 1998 FatBoy .

Old 06-01-2013, 09:29 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,345 Likes on 1,949 Posts

So if I read this right I dont need to add the extra relay I can just come off my relay with a direct heavy gage wire to the pos post on the starter or battery and it will do the same for my 1998 FatBoy .

It has to be a fused wire (20 amp fuse) and run it to pin 30 on the starter relay.

Do not simply splice it into your existing wiring harness!!

Old 06-10-2013, 02:08 PM
the snake
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same problem on my 1990 ultra classic. added the second relay according to the doc diagram and presto! never started this good in the seven years i been riding it.also seems to charge better and shows more volts on the gauge.probably because of the additional ground from the battery to the relay.thanks doc!

Old 06-10-2013, 05:21 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,722 Likes on 2,001 Posts

If all else fails, here's one more trick to try. Remove the right side fuel tank from your Softail. That's where all the connectors and frame grounds are located. Take apart the connectors and the ground wires from their tabs on the frame and spray them all with contact cleaner. Dry them and clean them as well as you can. Apply a dab of electrical contact grease to the pins and reassemble everything. I can pretty much guarantee this has never been done in the life of the motorcycle (mine hadn't).

After doing this, my bike fires up with the headlight on, and it hasn't done this in nearly three years, even with a new battery. My instrument lights are even brighter.

I recommend thoroughly cleaning ALL the connections before you try the bypass to the solenoid. It may not be necessary.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:26 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member

Make sure you add a fuse in the line as has been suggested. You might want to locate the fuse where you can reach it easily. Once you've done this modification, if the relay sticks in the "energized" condition (unlikely, but possible), turning off the ignition will not stop the starter from turning. You will need a secondary way to turn off the starter if this happens.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:35 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
It has to be a fused wire (20 amp fuse) and run it to pin 30 on the starter relay.

Do not simply splice it into your existing wiring harness!!
Be sure you REMOVE the existing wire feeding pin 30, don't just add the new wire, or your ignition will be "live" all the time.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:13 PM
grey_ghost
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the battery to pin 30 and did not help. I plan on going thru all the wiring and cleaning all contacts and grounds. Hoping that will do it if not I'll try the added relay.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:28 PM
D1gger
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Like I said in the sticky'd post, the added relay(or jumper wire on Softails) doesn't help if the problem is caused by dirty solenoid contacts, a sticky solenoid plunger or other forms of neglected wiring. It is mainly to get added years out of your starter or make it more reliable when you have already made sure all the contacts are clean and tight and the solenoid is clean inside and lubed to move freely. In fact I strongly suggest to anyone to go through and make sure everything is right BEFORE adding the relay(or wire), and only adding it if it's still needed. In my case it was still needed even after cleaning and lubing the solenoid and making sure all the contacts were clean and tight. I attribute it to age and corrosion weakening the solenoid's coil's ability to create a strong enough magnetic field to pull the plunger hard enough.

Quick Reply: Trouble Starting 1996 Heritage Softail - Click But Not Turning OVer