EVO All Evo Model Discussion

98 Ultra Classic Oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 01:54 PM
Casket32
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Ultra Classic Oil pressure

Riding down the road this morning, i happen to look down and notice the oil pressure is zero and the indicator light is on. I pulled over, no funny noises, nothing out of the ordinary except that. pulled the dipstick and noticed there was a bunch of small bubbles in the oil. Got it back home (wasnt far) and let it set, started it up about two hours later, still no oil pressure showing and there are still no wierd noises.

Where do i start with this?

Bike has 41k on it. Changed the oil about 1000 miles ago, and have never had an issue with it.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:01 PM
jrscars
Novice

I would beg borrow or steal a temporary oil pressure guage and screw it into the oil sender hole and see what the oil pressure really is to start with.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:13 PM
Casket32
Novice

Done, no pressure. no oil even coming out of the hole.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:00 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

Might have sheered the key in the oil pump drive. Do you have oil coming from the pump into the tank?

Old 05-14-2013, 07:13 PM
machinehed
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default got it home ?

Originally Posted by Casket32
Riding down the road this morning, i happen to look down and notice the oil pressure is zero and the indicator light is on. I pulled over, no funny noises, nothing out of the ordinary except that. pulled the dipstick and noticed there was a bunch of small bubbles in the oil. Got it back home (wasnt far) and let it set, started it up about two hours later, still no oil pressure showing and there are still no wierd noises.

Where do i start with this?

Bike has 41k on it. Changed the oil about 1000 miles ago, and have never had an issue with it.
I still dont understand why people " get back home as it wasent far " with vehicles that are indicating that there is no oil pressure etc.?
Anyway... im inclined to think that your oil pump is ok as its producing air bubbles into the oil.
I would first check for oil starvation to the oil pump and go from there.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:42 PM
Casket32
Novice

Originally Posted by machinehed
I still dont understand why people " get back home as it wasent far " with vehicles that are indicating that there is no oil pressure etc.?
Anyway... im inclined to think that your oil pump is ok as its producing air bubbles into the oil.
I would first check for oil starvation to the oil pump and go from there.

And I still dont understand why people have to make smart *** comments, when they were not deserved.

Tommorrow I will blow out all the lines, and hopefully (fingers crossed) will fix the issue. Now jsut to get the lines off ugh.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:17 PM
Casket32
Novice

Ok, something told me to dig deeper into the oil pump issue.. i pulled the pump off, which was seemingly seized onto the oil pump mainshaft, the scavenger side key was in tact, however, the feed key was ate up into the gears, along with the casing pretty eaten up. I'll pull the gearcase off just to make sure nothing went crazy in there and to replace anything that may need to be replaced..

Ill post an update when i get that far

EDIT -- Read new update below.

Last edited by Casket32; 05-17-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:24 PM
machinehed
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default oil pressure.

Originally Posted by Casket32
And I still dont understand why people have to make smart *** comments, when they were not deserved.

Tommorrow I will blow out all the lines, and hopefully (fingers crossed) will fix the issue. Now jsut to get the lines off ugh.
Sorry Casket32 no smart *** intended , i just dont get why " most people " will keep running a motor that indicates that there is no oil pres.?
To me , that red warning lamp means kill that motor now and coast to a stop before
any more nasty and expensive things happen further.
Glad to see you have found the culprit and are soon to be back in the wind.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:34 PM
Casket32
Novice

Ok so here is what I have found.. Pulled the pump, seems as though the oring/sleeve that is in the bottom hardline that goes up to the filter/cooler had been sucked into the works/and or the oil seal. both were gone, oil pump casing is cracked. TP Engineering pump on the way (only pump that is worth a **** in my eyes). Also a new belt is on the way also. Total bill so far, about 500 bucks, and I get a much better lubrication system, as apparently, no oil gets to the bottom end of these motors until about 1900 rpm, with the factory oil pump.

Pulling rockers and gearcase cover within the next few days to get ready for the new pump/shaft. FUN FUN! lol

J

MachineHD.. No harm no foul. Fortunately, this isn't the first rodeo with oil pumps. This is the second oil pump i have busted this year, last one was on a 06 dyna twincam.

Just glad that this motor uses Timkin bearings, as we all know just how sturdy those 03+ TC bearings are LOL!

I am now just trying to find that microscopic pair of snap ring pliars i have, to get that little bastard off of the other end of the oil pump. Still think they should have made the C clip on the other side a snap ring. I had thought about putting a snap ring on it, however, it would interfere with the cover and the last thing i need is little bits of metal being carved into the lube system.

Here is why I ran it back home (half mile). Since I did not hear anything amiss when i noticed the oil pressure drop, i figured there was still oil sitting in the bottom end. the amount of pressure under the piston, would have forced it back up top. By the time i got home and on the lift, the oil pan was full so I had just made it back. Any farther, i would have definately taken the shoe leather express home and grabbed the truck.

Ill update once i get the gearcase off and everything inspected.