EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Evo shuts down after 20 miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 02:01 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts

When it's not running, do you have spark? I use the phillips screwdriver in the end of the plug wire method to test for spark. If no spark, I would put it at 99% that your Crane Hi4 is toast. The other 1% would be the coil, with the crane "not dead yet." So, when it's not running, take the cone "points" cover off and blow some air on crane, then try it again. Or, with the cover off and the bike running, aim the OL's hair blow drier at the crane and see if it dies.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:00 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
When it's not running, do you have spark? I use the phillips screwdriver in the end of the plug wire method to test for spark. If no spark, I would put it at 99% that your Crane Hi4 is toast. The other 1% would be the coil, with the crane "not dead yet." So, when it's not running, take the cone "points" cover off and blow some air on crane, then try it again. Or, with the cover off and the bike running, aim the OL's hair blow drier at the crane and see if it dies.
The Doc speaks the truth.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:37 PM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd start with making sure your battery cables are tight on both ends, also that they aren't all grungy and corroded.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:07 PM
Bigfoot1
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same thing happened to me yesterday. On a 99 Heritage. It was the plug on the back of the ignition switch, under the dash. Looked connected, but was loose.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:19 PM
BOCR6
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright so i went back out to the garage and looked at the module again, turn ign on and turned on the run switch, little red light on module comes on but bike wont start, after cranking the light is off and while cranking it pulses, even though i did a spark test with a tester i tried doc's method by using a screwdriver, although i didnt see a spark i did shock myself lol so i guess i got spark. battery terminals are clean and tight.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:31 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts

I had posted the complete method with the screwdriver on P2 of this thread, but the site apparently blew up and ate the post. The best way is to not shock yourself by holding the plastic handle end of the screwdriver and holding the metal part near the motor, but, if you get thrown across the shop, that means you have spark. Got gas? Are the plugs wet? Squirt some starting fluid down the throat and crank it.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:50 PM
LeFat1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Why not?
Do you have an aftermarket coil?
no, stock coil, terminals are in a connector which has 4 wires, power, ios sense, front, rear...youre instructions pertain to earlier models or non efi

Old 05-16-2013, 09:21 PM
BOCR6
Intermediate

ya i saw the message doc and i had my hand on the handle (craftsman) i felt a little shock in my hand that was holding the screwdriver and al felt it in my other hand that was pushing the start button, anyways i have gas its about a month old 91 octane half tank, fuel is coming out of the jet when throttle applied (i took a/c off and checked) not sure if i still need to shoot some starting fluid and crank since i can physically see fuel goin in but ill pick up a can in the morning and give it a try, also since i been cranking a few times each day the battery is getting low so i need to throw a charge on it, think i might pull the dash off and pull the ign switch out and recheck all the wires again but this time with an ohm meter verses just looking and touching the contacts. could a stuck diaphram cause this issue, the bike wont even start anymore just cranks. thanks again.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:57 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by BOCR6
ya i saw the message doc and i had my hand on the handle (craftsman) i felt a little shock in my hand that was holding the screwdriver and al felt it in my other hand that was pushing the start button, anyways i have gas its about a month old 91 octane half tank, fuel is coming out of the jet when throttle applied (i took a/c off and checked) not sure if i still need to shoot some starting fluid and crank since i can physically see fuel goin in but ill pick up a can in the morning and give it a try, also since i been cranking a few times each day the battery is getting low so i need to throw a charge on it, think i might pull the dash off and pull the ign switch out and recheck all the wires again but this time with an ohm meter verses just looking and touching the contacts. could a stuck diaphram cause this issue, the bike wont even start anymore just cranks. thanks again.
You have spark and fuel. Gotta be the timing.
If you have compression that is.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:38 PM
BOCR6
Intermediate

well i have compression according to the oil pressure gauge. would the timing go off if the hi4 is having issues?

Quick Reply: Evo shuts down after 20 miles