EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Evo shuts down after 20 miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 08:44 AM
Moog Player
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jesus, Nick. How many times you gonna post that? Another oft o'er look thing that can cause that issue is a blocked tank vent. As you draw fuel, a vacuum builds in the tank until fuel stops flowing. Crack the cap and it starts up and goes again. The more full the tank, the shorter ride before it stalls.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:42 AM
92Fatty
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd follow Dr. Hess diagnosis above. Check battery off and running and report back results.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:50 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts

The charging system sounds OK. Sounds like you have a thermal problem in the ignition system. Pickup, module or coil. A hair drier on the suspect component when it's running is a test, but don't over do it. Another would be to wait until it is not working then spray the cooling stuff on the component and see if it starts working. They used to sell the cooling stuff at electronics stores. Don't know if they still do or not.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:50 AM
BOCR6
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

passed charging test

Old 05-14-2013, 12:23 PM
Kushman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a problem like this before was he coil. I got a heat gun the type to strip paint and heated the coil bike shut down replaced coil and good to go. Might not be the problem but worth a try.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:00 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
Your charging systems sounds OK then. Sounds like a thermally related ignition system problem: Pickup in the cone, ignition module or coil, in that order. There are tests for each.
I would go with the pick up in the cone myself.
Get a heat gun or a hair drier to heat the cone and see if that affects the running of your bike.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:36 PM
oldcorps116
Cruiser

i agree with heritageblue2013

Old 05-14-2013, 07:04 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

delete

Old 05-14-2013, 08:29 PM
nickvango
Advanced

Originally Posted by gsxrboy96
Does it still have the vaccuk operated pet **** ?
Don't over look this small piece of hardware. From 95 onwards all evo carb models came with a vacuum operated fuel petcocks.

I had a problem similar to yours for about 2 yrs. I couldnt go on long rides on the highway, coz after the bike was at high speed , sitting on 110 km/hr and over, after about 10- 15 mins sitting at this speed the bike would just cut out ,like it ran out of fuel. Then on the side of the road, bike would not start straight away, i always had to wait about 10-15 mins before the bike would start up again. I would not have any problem unless i took it over 110km/hr for a steady amount of time. I couldnt go on long rides with my buddies, coz i felt bad for them coz they would always be turning back for me and waiting for me till i could get the bike started.
Riding around town i would not have this problem, the bike ran fine. Only on the highway. Over a 2 yr period i replaced the ignition module and coil. My mechanic serviced and rejetted my carby, had my fuel caps replaced coz we thought they werent venting properly.

After reading some threads here on the forums, i read about the petcocks from 95 onwards. So during my recent makeover of my bike, i installed a Mikuni carby and told my mechanic to replace the petcock with a gravity fed one( i had a Golan petcock installed).

When i got home i disassembled the stock petcock. Look at the attached picture. This i know was definately my culprit for cutting out. The rubber diaphragm was warped. This meant when the diaphragm was opening and closing at high speed the vacuum pressure being high was not opening and closing properly.Leading to the diaphragm being stuck in the closed position and starving the engine of fuel.

I was getting to the stage that if i was to go on the highway i was always expecting the bike to cut out on me. I was very frustrated.

Since i have changed the petcock i have ridden numerous times on the highway at speed well over 110 km/hr and the bike perform flawlessly, doesn't miss a beat.

Attached Thumbnails Evo shuts down after 20 miles-img-20130208-00421.jpg  
Old 05-14-2013, 09:26 PM
92Fatty
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Forum malfunction. It looks like your running down the problem. If you end up getting spark out of the coil I'd suspect the nose cone sensor flaking under heat. This issue drove me nuts for a couple months. Adjusting carb, checking plugs, coil, etc. On my timing cone sensor the glue was all melted. It went out at about 25k.

Quick Reply: Evo shuts down after 20 miles