EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Bought my first Evo

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 08:33 PM
Shaylex
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought my first Evo

I posted in the new members section but realize that a fair number of you may not venture to that area.

I've been riding Harleys since 1994. Started out on a '74 Ironhead. Rode that one for two years. My 6'4" frame was never really comfortable on the XLCH, so when I blew the motor I sold it and bought a '70 FLH that I still have. After a whole lot of miles, the Shovel is ready for some TLC. Being in need of a bike to ride so that I could tear the Shovelhead down, I decided to pick up something that would be capable of some serious miles without the need for an overabundance of wrench time. Having no interest in owning a Twin Cam, the choice was clear... get a low mileage late Evo.

Bought this one on April 26th. It's a '97 Softail Custom.

I've already put about 500 miles on it. It has a few minor issues that I'll be taking care of and I have a few small changes planned for it. I am loving this bike so far. It's a real rocketship compared to the old Shovel that I've been riding for the past 17 years.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:50 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Great Bike ... Congrats !!

Old 05-08-2013, 08:54 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Welcome to the enlightened side of the forum!!!
The rest is refered to as the dark side....

Nice looking bike you got there.

If you ever need to spend money on it we are here to help...........

Old 05-09-2013, 06:41 AM
Old-Evo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shaylex
I posted in the new members section but realize that a fair number of you may not venture to that area.
You mean to tell me there are other sections to this forum? No way. Now I'll have to look around.

Anyway welcome, lot's of good folks here willing and able to share what they know. Sharp looking bike, it looks clean. How many miles on it?

Old 05-09-2013, 07:29 AM
Shaylex
Advanced

Thanks for the welcome. It's good to be here.

Originally Posted by Old-Evo
How many miles on it?
That's a good question. It has had a lot of little custom touches, one of them being an Autometer speedo/tach. The odometer was showing less than 2800 miles when I got it. As for total miles on the bike, at this point I really can't say.

The guy I bought it from had only owned it for 3 months, but needed to sell it to maintain "domestic tranquility". He had never even registered it and couldn't provide me with much history on the bike other than he says the motor internals are stock with the exception of having been cammed. Several things lead me to believe this may be true.

I have the name of the owner previous to the guy I got it from and I am going to attempt to track him down and find out what I can about the prior life of this bike.

Looking the bike over closely, I would be very surprised if it has ever seen more than 10 or 20 thousand total miles.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:37 AM
rht92
Advanced

Nice bike. Hard to find a low mileage one nowadays. Congrats and enjoy riding it.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:44 AM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 416 Likes on 297 Posts

Very nice Have fun and get going on the ole shovel........

Old 05-09-2013, 07:59 AM
junglejoe
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, what they said!! Nice bike!

Old 05-09-2013, 08:38 AM
ironoxide
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Terrific

Nice bike indeed. I purchased my 99' FLSTC with 36,000 miles on the clock...didn't hesitate! It's stock and rides very well. You made a terrific buy!!

Old 05-09-2013, 09:08 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

EVO's have been my favorite Harleys since they came out. Picked up an 89 Tour Glide Ultra this winter, still working on it (Minnysota, no garage heat, just getting started!). High mileage, but not on the S&S 96" and transmission, so I think it's worth putting Traxxion springs and Intiminators in the forks (and forget the front air), good aftermarket swing arm attach hardware, and fix the usual little nit picks. And take off several pounds of stuff I won't use. An EVO frame with an S&S engine is awesome. Like you, I have no interest in Twinkies, understand carbs pretty well and prefer stuff I'm experienced on. Like having no Chinese bearings, too...

Quick Reply: Bought my first Evo