EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Evo warm-up

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 08:14 AM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Evo warm-up

Just wondering how long it takes for your bikes to run smooth from a "cold" start? How long do you let it idle before riding? Mine varies, but sometimes I'm 4 or 5 miles down the road before the sputtering/backfiring ceases, is that normal (after 3-5 minute idle time)? My motor is stock except for a mild cam. Also a tidbit, my Harley tech told me to roll the throttle 2 or 3 times beforehand ( not in manual for cold starts) and she starts first time every time. Until I had that info., it would take 4 or 5 tries just to fire her up, think they would've printed that in there? My ride is a 95 with a tad over 12k logged. Had been ridden very little each year since 1999. However, once she's warmed up, she always runs smooth and strong, never missing a beat. Will the warm-up period become progressively longer over time, or is this commonplace? Thanks

Old 05-05-2013, 08:30 AM
V-Twins & Bowties
Road Warrior
Received 507 Likes on 279 Posts

They will do strange things when they're cold. What counts is how they run when at operating temps. You should allow it to warm up well prior to rideing so as not to blow out your base gaskets. If you do ride off when still warming just do not ride it like you stole it.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:42 AM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

I let both my Evo's idle until I can feel a temperature change on the rocker box. Base and head gasket changes are not my idea of fun.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:41 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Lakerat
I let both my Evo's idle until I can feel a temperature change on the rocker box. Base and head gasket changes are not my idea of fun.
Same here.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:48 AM
jimbo285
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lakerat
No sputters after rockers are warm.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:37 PM
ironoxide
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Me too

Originally Posted by MJHJEA
Just wondering how long it takes for your bikes to run smooth from a "cold" start? How long do you let it idle before riding? Mine varies, but sometimes I'm 4 or 5 miles down the road before the sputtering/backfiring ceases, is that normal (after 3-5 minute idle time)? My motor is stock except for a mild cam. Also a tidbit, my Harley tech told me to roll the throttle 2 or 3 times beforehand ( not in manual for cold starts) and she starts first time every time. Until I had that info., it would take 4 or 5 tries just to fire her up, think they would've printed that in there? My ride is a 95 with a tad over 12k logged. Had been ridden very little each year since 1999. However, once she's warmed up, she always runs smooth and strong, never missing a beat. Will the warm-up period become progressively longer over time, or is this commonplace? Thanks
Roll the throttle a couple of times, pull the enrichener fully out and my bike starts right up. It requires a few minutes of run/warm up time before it stops sputtering. This I consider acceptable.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:46 PM
lownslow
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 45 Posts

I'll move the throttle up to a decent idle and lock it there. Then mess with my gear, make sure I have everything I need. Idle is set approx. 975-1050 when warm. I'll let it warm until it idles without any throttle advance or close to. Firm believer in letting metals acclimate especially during winter months.

I also add marine grade StaBil to all my gas cans which helps keep carbs clean and gas good.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:56 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Having bought my 1990 bike new I still treat it that way! Start, put gloves on, ease choke off a little, set off. I can see no benefit of letting it idle for any length of time. Just take it easy for a few miles, usually push choke right off after a couple of minutes, except on very cold mornings. Enjoy. Don't baby the darned things, they ain't THAT old yet!

Old 05-05-2013, 03:53 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Having bought my 1990 bike new I still treat it that way! Start, put gloves on, ease choke off a little, set off. I can see no benefit of letting it idle for any length of time. Just take it easy for a few miles, usually push choke right off after a couple of minutes, except on very cold mornings. Enjoy. Don't baby the darned things, they ain't THAT old yet!
This is pretty much how I do it, except I'll add my helmet to the list with my gloves. It's 4 miles of tight twisties and hills between my house and the highway, so I don't beat it too hard. Too many deer, cattle and other critters.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:37 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My Evo likes to warm up until the idle rises. I set the choke to keep it running smooth once started, typically around 1,100 rpms. In no time as it warms the idle begins to come up as fast 1,400 rpms or more, especially if I walk away and don't watch over it closely. I back the choke down to a smooth idle as slow as possible each time I move in the choke, usually once or twice.

If I want to get going I ride about two blocks to the first stop with the choke set just slightly and once again the idle is up around 1,100 rpms or more. Choke goes in completely and the idle drops to the 950 rpm where I like it when it's hot.

I also keep an eye on the oil pressure. When cold it'll go as high as 40+ psi. After a mile or so from a cold start, it drops down just below 20 psi, that's when I know the bike is good and warm and will give me all the performance I want without hesitating.

I'm in need of the intake seals being replaced right now so it's a little wacky riding. If I let the throttle fall back and then go to accelerate it has a very slight hesitation as it must be drawing air instead of fuel. Can't wait to get that sealed up. It will quite possible change my cold start procedure a bit too.

Quick Reply: Evo warm-up