EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Batwing fairing help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 10:37 PM
Broncobilly72
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Batwing fairing help?

Anyone happen to know where I can find a HD instruction sheet, for installing a batwing fairing? I did a few searches on Ebay, but came up blank. I located a 2003 EGlide batwing, which I am going to put on my 97 Roadking. I forgot about the factory batwings being mounted to the bike, via brackets and an inner fairing - then the outer fairing screwed to the inner fairing. I guess I was thinking of the Memphis Shades fairing. So; by the time I locate an inner fairing, my budget batwing idea will be out the window : ( I guess I can try and retrofit the memphis shades quick release brackets, to the HD outer batwing fairing that I just acquired?

Old 04-29-2013, 10:48 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 424 Likes on 254 Posts

I am currently putting together the parts for an Electra Glide/Street Glide fairing for my 2001 Road King.

I don't think there is an instruction sheet, however, you will be better off getting an inner fairing for the outer fairing that you just purchased. It will look pretty crappy without it.

If you don't want to spend the time and money getting the inner fairing and all the parts, you should probably sell it and get a fairing from Memphis Shades, Reckless, or Dead Center.

Last edited by Road Star; 04-29-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:17 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,860 Likes on 2,425 Posts

I bought a late 80s batwing, complete and messed around with it. The pretty outer part was not strong enough on its own and the dash was essential to installing it. I passed that by, not least because of the wiring changes it required and used an early 80s g/f one instead.

You can see what parts go into the batwing you have by looking at Ronnies H-D microfiche.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:01 AM
PeterPanHead
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put one on an Yammerhammer V-Star 1100 with a pal a recently. I made some of my own brackets, bought used stuff to keep it on the cheap / econo build.

This photo was very earliy on and I cleaned up the supports / wiring shortly after. I capped the gauge holes with plastic cut outs. It won't win any shows, but function over form.

Funny how when I got rid of my dyna all my pals hated on me for getting a bagger.....now they all want one.

Good luck

Attached Thumbnails Batwing fairing help?-img_3655-1-.jpg  
Old 04-30-2013, 10:16 AM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by PeterPanHead
I put one on an Yammerhammer V-Star 1100 with a pal a recently. I made some of my own brackets, bought used stuff to keep it on the cheap / econo build.

This photo was very earliy on and I cleaned up the supports / wiring shortly after. I capped the gauge holes with plastic cut outs. It won't win any shows, but function over form.

Funny how when I got rid of my dyna all my pals hated on me for getting a bagger.....now they all want one.

Good luck
I did something similar, installed a RG fairing on a Yamaha Roadstar -those Road Glide fairings are nice. The frame mounted fairing really stabilizes the bike, especially when it's windy.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:15 PM
PeterPanHead
Intermediate

I bet that looks really nice, would like to see pics of that. The V-star runs like a top

Old 05-01-2013, 08:30 PM
Broncobilly72
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Roadstar,Graham,PeterPanHead and all,
Thanks for the replies to my batwing fairing post. I am debating selling the HD 2003 batwing outer fairing - I just pick up, and going with a Memphis Shades batwing. I really don't care about having gauges in the fairing, although a speedo and tach on the fairing would be nice. My speedo on my 97 RK tank, with the tach up by the nacaille (sp) works for me.
I have 1998 brackets for the inner HD fairing, as well as the 2003 outer fairing - right now. If I can locate a good used inner fairing for around $80 or so, I might keep the HD batwing setup. I can always make aluminum block outs for the gauges on the HD fairing. Anyone know if a 1997-2007 inner fairing, will fit a 2003 outer fairing? Also; if I do not mount a radio in the HD fairing, do I still need to use the HD radio brackets?

Old 05-01-2013, 10:53 PM
JohnG3
Advanced
Default Bat wing fairing Help

Bronco, I have a 96 Heritage softail and put a Memphis Shades batwing with quick connect attachments and am very happy with it. Bought the fairing and brackets on sale from Dr. VTwin and found a new windshield on Craigs list for real cheap. Cost more to have the fairing painted to match the bike than the parts. Easy job putting it together. Can send photos or I can try to figure out how to post them here.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:49 AM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Broncobilly72
Roadstar,Graham,PeterPanHead and all,
Thanks for the replies to my batwing fairing post. I am debating selling the HD 2003 batwing outer fairing - I just pick up, and going with a Memphis Shades batwing. I really don't care about having gauges in the fairing, although a speedo and tach on the fairing would be nice. My speedo on my 97 RK tank, with the tach up by the nacaille (sp) works for me.
I have 1998 brackets for the inner HD fairing, as well as the 2003 outer fairing - right now. If I can locate a good used inner fairing for around $80 or so, I might keep the HD batwing setup. I can always make aluminum block outs for the gauges on the HD fairing. Anyone know if a 1997-2007 inner fairing, will fit a 2003 outer fairing? Also; if I do not mount a radio in the HD fairing, do I still need to use the HD radio brackets?
I can't answer the fitment question, however, I wanted the Harley fairing, inner and outer so it looked more like a Street Glide or Electra Glide. I heard the Memphis Shades, Dead Center and others are good fairings too.
Good Luck, and post some pics when you're done.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:11 AM
mayneman
Cruiser

I mounted the outer fairing from a Street Glide on my 89 FLHS by taking out the headlight bucket and sandwiching the fairing between the headlight bucket and the nacelle. I then fabbed some brackets that tied between the outer windshield bolts and mirror mounts.....turned out pretty sweet.

Quick Reply: Batwing fairing help?