EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Fender Tip Light

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 08:36 PM
pipedog
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fender Tip Light

Just thought I would share my experience with the custom dynamics dual intensity fender tip led. I have a 1998 FLHTC that I purchased about a year ago. I liked the idea of a extra brake light and ordered the kit from Amazon. Came in the mail today, so I thought I would put it on before this weekend as its supposed to warm up and I need to try out everything I did over the winter. What a P.I.T.A!!!!! Did some research before I ordered this and didn't find anything negative so I didn't think it would be a big deal. Had to drop the rear wheel to get to the back of the brake light, which meant I had to remove the brake caliper and take apart the left side bag rail. Removed the nuts on the brake light housing studs and the housing still will not come loose. Looking at the plug on the back of the brake light it does not look like there is a place to plug in the new harness anyway. Now I am thinking I will trace the two wires from the fender tip light to the P/J connector under the seat. I have a running/brake light on the tour pak wing that goes from under the seat so it should be easy to figure which is the brake light wire and which is the running light. The new harness has got me stumped however. The plug that they want me to plug into the non existent terminal block has 3 wires, white,red, and black. They go into some shrink wrap and only 2 wires come out, I know the 2 wires (red and black) go to the fender tip light. I don't know what the 3 wires get connected to. One must go to the brake wire, and one must go to the running light wire, but not sure what to do with the other one. Putting the wheel back on looks like another adventure.

Last edited by pipedog; 04-25-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:49 AM
traildog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 712 Likes on 359 Posts

wish I could help with the wiring, but, reinstalling the wheel I have done, and it WAS a pia until I used a small hydrolic jack to help lift it into place.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:30 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,865 Likes on 2,429 Posts

There are instructions for that fender light on their website, if they didn't come with any.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:32 AM
pipedog
Advanced

It came with the instructions, but they don't match my wiring. There is a 800 # for tech support on their website, so I am going to give them a call today. It looks like once I know which wire goes to which wire it should be pretty simple to do at the harness under the seat.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:03 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Weird. I've had my taillight off several times and never had to drop the wheel. And mine is lowered 2 inches to boot.
I hope you get it figured out and report back because I've been thinking about getting one too.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:57 AM
pipedog
Advanced

OK I called the custom dynamics support line and found out what each wire was for. On the plug side with 3 wires, black is ground, white is for the running light, and red is for the brake light.The output side has 2 wires. Black is ground and red goes to the light. Put the rear wheel on, which wasn't bad at all to do. I unplugged the P/J connector under the seat that goes to the rear lights. Turned on the ignition and looked for 12v on the pins of the plugs. 2 pins were hot, a blue wire and a orange wire. I then checked with an ohm meter to determine that the orange wire went to the fender tip light. I already had a ground going to the light thru the original wiring so I only needed to find a source of input for a running light and brake light. I decided to fish 2 wires up to the tour pac thru the sleeve for the factory wiring. I added a P/J connector to the wires going to my running/brake leds on the tour pac wing. I could have made my connection at the P/J under the seat, but I didn't want to cut any more wires on the harness than I had to. I really like the LED running light, and the brake light function is nice and bright.

Last edited by pipedog; 04-28-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:14 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pipedog
OK I called the custom dynamics support line and found out what each wire was for. On the plug side with 3 wires, black is ground, white is for the running light, and red is for the brake light.The output side has 2 wires. Black is ground and red goes to the light. Put the rear wheel on, which wasn't bad at all to do. I unplugged the P/J connector under the seat that goes to the rear lights. Turned on the ignition and looked for 12v on the pins of the plugs. 2 pins were hot, a blue wire and a orange wire. I then checked with an ohm meter to determine that the orange wire went to the fender tip light. I already had a ground going to the light thru the original wiring so I only needed to find a source of input for a running light and brake light. I decided to fish 2 wires up to the tour pac thru the sleeve for the factory wiring. I added a P/J connector to the wires going to my running/brake leds on the tour pac wing. I could have made my connection at the P/J under the seat, but I didn't want to cut any more wires on the harness than I had to. I really like the LED running light, and the brake light function is nice and bright.
Pics, or better yet, video?

Old 05-07-2013, 02:15 PM
thaghost
Tourer

Originally Posted by Gunslingertom
Pics, or better yet, video?
what he said