EVO All Evo Model Discussion

base gasket/cam swap with pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 11:27 PM
terrapin88
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default base gasket/cam swap questions with pics

I started pulling apart my top end to replace my base gaskets in my 98 FXD. I am also going to do a cam swap while I'm at it.

This is my first time digging into the motor so I'm taking my time and paying attention to to the manual. It's been pretty smooth sailing for the most part but I did have a stud pull out of the case when I was removing the head bolt. That bolt is on that stud good. I can't get it off. My gut tells me to replace the stud and the bolt even if I do get them apart.

My biggest bitch I have so far is getting at some of the allen head bolts on the left side of the rocker boxes. I had to use small pliers to remove the left side Rocker cover allens. I put some electrical tape on the jaws so they wouldn't mar anything. It worked but it was not ideal. None of my allens would fit under the frame.

What are people using to get those 3/16 allen bolts off the top rocker covers? And what about torquing them back on to spec? Do it by feel?

My front piston has a nice layer of caked carbon on it. The rear piston had caked on carbon but just in the middle of the head. I know that means something, I can't remember what tho. I have a pic below. I'm going to go at combustion chambers and the piston with a brass wire wheel and brush to see if I can clean them up before I put it together.

I think I had an exhaust leak at the head. I have a pic down below.

Thanks for looking-

Attached Thumbnails base gasket/cam swap with pics-20130419_222021.jpg   base gasket/cam swap with pics-20130419_222343.jpg   base gasket/cam swap with pics-20130419_222424.jpg   base gasket/cam swap with pics-20130419_222048.jpg   base gasket/cam swap with pics-20130420_203820.jpg  

Last edited by terrapin88; 04-20-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:26 PM
mostSilly
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I pulled my rear head to replace the head gasket, I cut an allen wrench down ( the short side ) so I could use it under the frame. even with it chopped down, It was still a bit too long and I was in the same boat, using channel locks to get the rocker screws out. Next time, I will cut an allen wrench down to just a little nub, just long enough to fit into the screw.

I didn't try it, but I think you can remove your front motor mount to get another inch to work on it -

My piston looked almost exactly like that. I'm pretty sure my ignition is dying.. Crane HI-4 Single Fire from about ten years ago. the rear starts to missfire randomly after about 1/2 an hour.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:31 PM
junglejoe
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

X3 on that freakin allen bolt!! lol Doing my top end as well right now and cam!

Old 04-20-2013, 10:23 PM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

harley makes a clever little ratcheting tool to get those allen head bolts out of our rocker box covers... its worth the money considering the hassle

if you don't have the tool, and find whatever clever means to remove them, switch to 12 points after to make it easier for future jobs

Old 04-20-2013, 11:46 PM
terrapin88
Tourer

Originally Posted by jsbridgew
harley makes a clever little ratcheting tool to get those allen head bolts out of our rocker box covers... its worth the money considering the hassle

if you don't have the tool, and find whatever clever means to remove them, switch to 12 points after to make it easier for future jobs
I have a clever ratcheting tool that I use to work on residential AC condensers. The problem is fitting any tool under the frame to get to the bolts. I am more concerned with torquing the bolts to spec once I put it all back together. There are a few others aside from the rocker cover bolts that I won't be able to fit my torque wrench on.

junglejoe, are you swapping the gear off your stock cam onto your new one? Did the 3 smaller bolts holding the rocker box down only seemed finger tight on your motor? I was surprised. I haven't looked at the torque specs yet though.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:26 AM
junglejoe
Road Master

Originally Posted by terrapin88
I have a clever ratcheting tool that I use to work on residential AC condensers. The problem is fitting any tool under the frame to get to the bolts. I am more concerned with torquing the bolts to spec once I put it all back together. There are a few others aside from the rocker cover bolts that I won't be able to fit my torque wrench on.

junglejoe, are you swapping the gear off your stock cam onto your new one? Did the 3 smaller bolts holding the rocker box down only seemed finger tight on your motor? I was surprised. I haven't looked at the torque specs yet though.
Ya know terra,When in was taking those bolts off, i was like damn these suckers aint even tight!!Must not be much torque on them...
On that cam gear,I ordered it with the new gear,so IF it does whine like some say, then i'll be taking it out and putting the new old one on.Actually, I might just go ahead and put the old gear on the cam....

Old 04-21-2013, 11:12 AM
terrapin88
Tourer

I bought a cam with no gear so I could swap gears. From what I read it's the easiest way to keep things timed.
Good luck

Old 04-21-2013, 01:35 PM
junglejoe
Road Master

yea, same to you man...keep us posted on how things are going!