EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Difference between Street Glide and Ultra?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013 | 08:12 AM
cpbedor
|
Road Warrior
Default Difference between Street Glide and Ultra?

I'm sure this question belongs in the touring forum but Evo guys know more, so I'm asking.

What's the difference between a streetglide and a ultra (or some of the other decked out touring bikes) other than the tourpak?

My buddy is obsessed with buying a streetglide. My thought is, buy an ultra and strip down all the luggage. If you ever want to take a trip, you've already got the trunk and everything else!

Surely someone knows the differences and if you can actually strip an ultra down to a streetglide level. I'd love to smack some sense into my bud. I am obviously risking that I will have some sense smacked into my by my ignorance.

Old 03-07-2013 | 12:47 PM
cpbedor
|
Road Warrior

I asked during my daily trip to TCHD. rear lights/signals and lowered suspension is the main difference. Bag rails on the ultra. Otherwise, nuttin.

if it were me, I'd buy the big dog and strip it down. Disregard inquiry.

Old 03-07-2013 | 01:17 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Talking

If you're married an SG is what you would buy, looking around a showroom, an Ultra is what your wife would buy. Does that help?!

The following users liked this post:
Harleyjunky (05-26-2019)
Old 03-07-2013 | 01:24 PM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member

About $2K?

Old 03-07-2013 | 02:50 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member

The frame, fork, engine, tranny, basic body pieces are all identical. And to be honest no one keep thier glides stock, they all switch out seats, handlebars and windshields , so that little stuff is a non issue between each of the models.

The street glide does not have spotlights, rear crashbars, does not have any front fender trim or running lights, it does have rear filler panels between the rear fender and the saddlebags and the rear lightbars and fender are different. Also, Streetglides do not have any pinstriping or additional decals , chrome trim or the chrome saddlebag rails. And, the streetglide has 1" lower shocks compared to the E Glide.

I've owned a EGlide and stripped it down to get it the way I wanted. This time around, I went with a streetglide ( I kept the tour pac from my old E glide) and use it only when the Mrs. or one of the kids wants to go for a ride. Most of the time, it sits on a shelf in garage.

Bottom line, you can run just as hard and fast and as long on a Street Glide as you can on an eglide. Stock to stock, it would be more comfotable on an E'glide. but no one keeps them stock , so it really comes down to wich one you like better. they are both excellent at eating miles. Now that my street glide is setup the way I need it to be, there is no place I can't go on it.

And yes - it cost less to buy an EGlide standard and strip it down than it does to buy a street glide and try to turn it into an eglide.

Your buddy should get the bike that he wants, they all require your to throw money at them in one way or another.

Old 03-07-2013 | 05:22 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior

No one has really address the differences (other than the basic).
The SG does not have the electronic extras, not wiring to install them. IE... Cruise, CB, Intercom, Rear Speakers (with associated switches, and hand controls).
The SG also has the lowered shocks, different seat, has passenger foot pegs instead of boards. No Tour Pak, or rack to mount one. No Lowers. On newer models, the rear fender wiring is different without the center tail light. The front fender is plain. No chrome or lights on the front or rear fender. No Chrome rails around the saddlebags.

It comes right down to it. It is easier to get an Ultra and remove parts than to get a SG and add them.
Some never add anything to their SG. More power to them. But some just spend more to add to their SG. Your choice.