EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Not sure what I did.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 07:10 PM
wild_one
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not sure what I did.

Not exactly sure what I did but im getting a little frustrated. Went to ride my bike today and got on the interstate after a 20 min warm up and the bike dies out while riding at almost any speed and pops through the carbeurator quite a bit. The only thing ive done to it this winter is add the dynojet kit, SE stage 1 air cleaner and rebuild the carb. I took the carb apart and checked everything I could think of. The rubber around the slide looks good. Sprayed everywhere with wd 40 and no change on idle. Started checking the timing and heck I cant see the mark.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:10 PM
machinehed
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Recheck the carb. rebuild for mistakes or false info. on the instruction sheet.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:20 PM
wild_one
Advanced

Any place that has correct info I can cross check it with?

Old 02-18-2013, 08:46 PM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

20 min warmup??? You don't really warm it up for 20 minutes do you?? Good way to foul your plugs....

Sounds like something did not go right with your carb work and I'm not a fan of that kit. If you did not drill the slide I'd say go back to the standard tube, needle, spring and just rejet. What jets are you running and does it mess up on slow speed acceleration? Did you try running the enricher a little to see if it's starving for fuel?

If you did not mess with the timing when you worked on it then leave it alone now because it would not change on it's own.

Ds

Old 02-18-2013, 09:05 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by wild_one
Not exactly sure what I did but im getting a little frustrated. Went to ride my bike today and got on the interstate after a 20 min warm up and the bike dies out while riding at almost any speed and pops through the carbeurator quite a bit. The only thing ive done to it this winter is add the dynojet kit, SE stage 1 air cleaner and rebuild the carb. I took the carb apart and checked everything I could think of. The rubber around the slide looks good. Sprayed everywhere with wd 40 and no change on idle. Started checking the timing and heck I cant see the mark.

It is my understanding that popping/coughing through the carb indicates a lean condition.

If the bike was running fine before your work it has to be something you did.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:08 PM
wild_one
Advanced

I had to warm it up for 20 min to get it to idle properly. I have no clue what the previous kit was but it was definatly not stock and thinking im not liking this dj kit at all. I scribed a mark before I started with the timing and its back to where it started at. Tried the enrichener and no change at all. Heck the bike died on the interstate, not a fun time with 2 semi's on my ****. Im thinking about going to CV Performance and having them send me a kit and buying a new slide. But crap the money I spent on the DJ kit. That will definatly irk me. BTW im running a #45 and #190 and I live in the midwest, have SE stage 1 air kit and V&H Longshot pipes.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:12 PM
Kushman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 To what Doug said. Check the plugs first and if there good back to the carb.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:08 PM
cowboy 51
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep double checkthe plugs first then the carb if plugs are good , I'am a big fan of Cv performence kits , not at all of the dj kits tried one once & in the trash it went

Old 02-19-2013, 03:51 AM
wild_one
Advanced

Ok gonna pull the carb back off tonight and check the plugs, probably gonna pick up a new set anyway just to have a spare. I sprayed everywhere with wd40 and no change in idle but I will to it again as I was getting mad when I did it. Im a little calmer now. I appreciate all the input. Wish I would have done better research on the DJ kit for Harley, the DJ kit was awesome in my old quad. lol

Old 02-19-2013, 04:08 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Don't blame the kit just yet. The very fact you warmed the bike up for 20 mins to get it to run right is your clue. The bike ain't right! You need to spend time getting the running right that it warms up enough in a couple of minutes so you can ride away. That may be as simple as changing the slow running jet and adjusting the enricher.

If you continue to have problems don't mess around, get it to a local indy to sort it out.

Quick Reply: Not sure what I did.