EVO All Evo Model Discussion

The indestructible evo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 04:22 PM
WWhunter
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cpbedor,
Hundreds???? Is there that many is MN? Heck riding season there is so short lucky if 90% of the bikes in the state ever get run enough to warm up the oil. I did ride mine the last time in the middle of Dec. but it wasn't far....my hands were froze solid before the 1st mile. I'm a couple hundred miles north of you near Itasca State Park. Stop in if you are ever in the area.

Back to the OP topic, Not really anything to comment on the EVO as this is my first one. 34 years ago my 1st HD (A Very modified Sportster) was riden as a daily driver (stationed in Florida) and only thing I ever did was basic tune-up and oil change. I will say thought that the 3rd gear was getting bad but that was due to my 'hard' driving. Since then I owned 2 TC's a WideGlide and a Heritage Springer. Recently purchased a '99 Heritage Springer with only 4800 original miles!! Unfortunately, due to all the years of inoperation, the rear cylinder rocker cover is leaking. I removed it and it looks like it was installed incorrectly at the factory. Inside of the engine still looks new. Since I have it apart I am installing an Andrews EV-27 cam along with a new Torrington bearing. I have heard this (cam bearing) is one of the things that can be an issue with the EVO. I put on a SE air cleaner, rejetted the carb, straight through dual fishtails. I may have to put 'lollipops' of something in them to get a little back pressure.

Hoping the reliability of this EVO is as good as I have heard. Do not want to get rid of this Heritage Springer since I kicked my self many times over for selling the '02 HS I bought new.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:06 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

I have 39,000 on my 99 and it just keeps running better and better. All I have done is replace the cam bearing, and it looked like brand new yet. There have been some on here with over 150,000 without work.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:28 PM
bluharley
Road Warrior

My '88 had 59,500 when I got it 7 years ago. It had sat for 4 years. Tank rusted really bad, lots of other issues. But I got her cleaned up and she ran fine until around 80k, and my crank pin started making noise. Bottom end rebuild and top end cleaned up. Now at 100k, and she runs great. I trust her

Old 02-15-2013, 07:11 AM
2006FLST
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine only has 22K on it!!!!!!! and of course was a low mileage bike two years ago when I got it. I was looking for bikes up to the 40K ish mileage range and was very happy to find this one. I went to put in a new torrington bearing and EV27. To my suprise the bike had an EV46 in it and the bearing was already updated. So that made the swap easy. Popped in the new cam and pushrods and away I went. Only thing I had to do was the cam seal and this was my faul anyway. I should have changed it with the cam. However it was easy to swap it even with the cam cover on. Had a new stock evo in my old chopper. I used to run the snot out of that bike. Never had problems at all.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:20 AM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts

great motor, up grade cam bearings to torrington , change lifters about 30,000 mi.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:52 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,267 Likes on 1,311 Posts

I have had to replace the head temperature sensor on my 98 RKC twice with a total of 50k on it. Other than that, it's been oil and tires.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:55 PM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 236 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by WWhunter
cpbedor,
Hundreds???? Is there that many is MN? Heck riding season there is so short lucky if 90% of the bikes in the state ever get run enough to warm up the oil. I did ride mine the last time in the middle of Dec. but it wasn't far....my hands were froze solid before the 1st mile. I'm a couple hundred miles north of you near Itasca State Park. Stop in if you are ever in the area.
Nice. I didn't say he was CURRENTLY working on hundreds of them but he's been wrenching out of Lakeville for 30 years so he's got 'some' idea.

We're actually heading up there in May, stopping to pick up an old man in Breezy Point then all the way up to the north shore. And if you ever make it down to the big city, give me a shout too. Riding on those minimum maintenance roads has to be tough. We got pavement and stuff down here! cpbedor@yahoo.com we'll plan the trip!

Old 02-15-2013, 07:04 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,353 Likes on 22,641 Posts

Originally Posted by MJHJEA
The proof is in the pudding, right? So, just wondering, how many miles are on your evos? Better yet, for those who've had theirs since new or low miles, how long before you had any issues? What repair was needed, etc.? The evo I'm about to buy has 15k miles. Just trying to get an idea on maintenance $$ and life expectancy. Thanx
If you are hesitant and have reservations, maybe you should hold off, and buy one when you feel better about it.
All HD's have their issues.
No one can sell you but you.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:49 PM
95 Ultra
Tourer

Old 02-15-2013, 07:55 PM
Shortmag
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine only has 41k and runs like a top

Quick Reply: The indestructible evo?