EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Unedited: Adding a second relay to fix the dreaded click

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 04:32 PM
machinehed
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since your idea effectively " bypasses " all the current robbing culprits in the original elec. system , i would assume that the only way to get the dreaded click now whould be a low battery or pooched starter solenoid.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:44 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

I just unplugged the 87 connector of the original relay and ran a wire with a 20 amp fuse from the battery to the 87 connector on the relay and the bike starts fine.

I did not add a relay.

I wrapped the original 87 connector with some electrical tape.

Now to see if it stands the test of time.

edit: every where I put 87 I should have put 30 oops.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:00 PM
D1gger
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
I just unplugged the 87 connector of the original relay and ran a wire with a 20 amp fuse from the battery to the 87 connector on the relay and the bike starts fine.

I did not add a relay.

I wrapped the original 87 connector with some electrical tape.

Now to see if it stands the test of time.
If you truly did this and got the numbers right, there is some seriously messed up wiring on your bike! The 87 tab of the original relay is the output to the solenoid, nothing else. Disconnecting it from the relay effectively removes any chance of the solenoid getting any juice at all. Connecting a 20amp fused wire from battery positive to the 87 tab doesn't do anything, either, because the tab is dead unless you push the start button, and then it is 12v positive already. If instead you connected the 20amp fused wire to tab 30 on the relay, you just bypassed your ignition switch. If that's the case, turn your ignition switch off and try your start button, I'll bet it turns over the engine even with your ignition switch off.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:07 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by D1gger
If you truly did this and got the numbers right, there is some seriously messed up wiring on your bike! The 87 tab of the original relay is the output to the solenoid, nothing else. Disconnecting it from the relay effectively removes any chance of the solenoid getting any juice at all. Connecting a 20amp fused wire from battery positive to the 87 tab doesn't do anything, either, because the tab is dead unless you push the start button, and then it is 12v positive already.
Digger you are correct. I don't know why I said the 87 tab. I actually connected it to the 30 tab.

I guess I got confused in the 100 degree heat in my garage.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:10 PM
D1gger
Road Captain

Ok, so you just bypassed your ignition switch then. Go hit your start button with the ignition switch off and it'll still turn over. That's why you need to add the relay the way I described.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:21 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Ok, so you just bypassed your ignition switch then. Go hit your start button with the ignition switch off and it'll still turn over. That's why you need to add the relay the way I described.
I just went and hit the start button with the ignition off and nothing happened. Then I turned the ignition on and she tried to start.

The relay seems to be working correctly.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:31 PM
D1gger
Road Captain

Looking at my wiring diagram, tab 30 is connected to and gets it's voltage from the ignition switch. You disconnected that feed and fed it direct battery power. Tab 87a is connected to the direct battery power any time you are not pushing the start button now. Tab 87a goes through the accy breaker where it branches off to the horn and the dash lights, etc.

So does your horn and or dash lights work all the time now?

Old 06-28-2012, 05:46 PM
D1gger
Road Captain

I see why it seems to work. The start button gets it's juice from the kill switch, which gets it's juice from the ignition switch, which gets it's juice from the main circuit breaker. When you turn off your ignition switch, you kill the feed to the kill switch and starter button. You do NOT kill the constant feed to the acc breaker, which feeds the dash lights, brake lights and horn.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:51 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

With the ignition off nothing works.
The bike works exactly the same as it did before I changed wires.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:01 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,411 Likes on 5,011 Posts

As a couple people already figured out, this would keep your bike powered up all the time regardless of the position of your ignition switch.
No, it does not. I`m not talking about the wire for the control voltage that actuates the relay, I`m talking about the supply wire that supplies the higher current that is sent to the solenoid coil.

Quick Reply: Unedited: Adding a second relay to fix the dreaded click