Unedited: Adding a second relay to fix the dreaded click

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 05:17 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunslingertom
Yep, a very small slotted screwdriver to press the tiny tab that locks it in place.
Thanks.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:23 PM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

awesome thread!

thanks so much!

Old 06-24-2012, 07:01 PM
D1gger
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad it helped someone out!

Old 06-24-2012, 07:33 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Does it take an act of congress to get a good thread "stickied" in the Evo forum?

I have meticulously gone over the wiring on my bike and cleaned, replaced and greased connections and still that stupid click.
Now it's fixed.
I have the solenoid plunger button too, but quite frankly, it's kind of an embarrassment to have to reach down to use it.
Now I don't have to. Now I can use it in the event of an emergency like it was intended.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:25 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You know I can't really say whether it worked for me or not because when I did the added relay I also changed the charging system , starter and battery as well as all the circuit breakers and also added the button on the starter, oh ya also rewired so lights are off in the ignition on position. But I can say I haven't had a problem since
Glad it worked out for you guys and yes we really need this as a sticky.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:35 PM
oppirs
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write-up! as to Sticky, only if we Evo owner want it as a Sticky. I say we've owned or will own long enuf to tackle this issue. I vote a no stick to the Evo section. Now that I have replied, I'm linked to your write-up.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:06 PM
D1gger
Road Captain

I'll admit that I was skeptical at first that this would actually be the problem causing the click. I figured that the solenoid would either work or it wouldn't, not work only partially because of insufficient voltage and current. When I finally decided to do mine, that was the only thing I changed at that time. I have to say that I am now a true believer. Since I added the second relay controlled by the original factory relay, I haven't had a single click issue yet.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:36 PM
busterman2
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great post. Do you remove the OEM multi lock plug connector from end of wiring harnest were harnest connects to bottom of original starter relay and install flag connectors to all original wiring going into orginal relay. I have been confused as to how a positive wire could be run from original relay to 2nd relay with the muli plug connector in place. Thanks!!

Old 06-25-2012, 05:20 PM
D1gger
Road Captain

Originally Posted by busterman2
Great post. Do you remove the OEM multi lock plug connector from end of wiring harnest were harnest connects to bottom of original starter relay and install flag connectors to all original wiring going into orginal relay. I have been confused as to how a positive wire could be run from original relay to 2nd relay with the muli plug connector in place. Thanks!!
Gunslingertom in a post above stated how he did it similar to that. He used a small screwdriver to remove the appropriate connector from the plastic housing of the multipost connector into the original relay and plugged that into the added relay. I didn't do it that way myself, I just unplugged the solenoid wire from the solenoid and plugged that into the new relay, then ran another wire from the new relay back to the solenoid.

Want to really bake your noodle with relays? Run a fused(25amp) 12g wire from your battery + up under your tank to the front of your bike. Get 2 relays and split the 12g wire into both relay's "30" tabs. Take each relay's "87" tab and run one to the headlight's low beam tab and the other relay's wire to the headlight's high beam tab, make sure to ground the third headlight tab. Now take 18g wire and connect the original headlight socket's low beam connector to one relay's "85" and the high beam connector to the other relay's "85" and ground both "86" tabs. You just added at least 1.5-2 volts more juice to the headlight which more than doubles it's brightness while reducing it's resistance. I plan to do this to my bike in the near future. It's an old trick from the 4wheeling days to get much more light out of the original headlights.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:02 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by D1gger
Want to really bake your noodle with relays? Run a fused(25amp) 12g wire from your battery + up under your tank to the front of your bike. Get 2 relays and split the 12g wire into both relay's "30" tabs. Take each relay's "87" tab and run one to the headlight's low beam tab and the other relay's wire to the headlight's high beam tab, make sure to ground the third headlight tab. Now take 18g wire and connect the original headlight socket's low beam connector to one relay's "85" and the high beam connector to the other relay's "85" and ground both "86" tabs. You just added at least 1.5-2 volts more juice to the headlight which more than doubles it's brightness while reducing it's resistance. I plan to do this to my bike in the near future. It's an old trick from the 4wheeling days to get much more light out of the original headlights.
Is doing this better than just switching out the headlamp for one of those H4 bulbs?

Quick Reply: Unedited: Adding a second relay to fix the dreaded click