EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Unedited: Adding a second relay to fix the dreaded click

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 05:46 PM
Mr1986FLST
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Does anyone know where the relay is located on an '86 FLST? Under the speedo? I think I remember seeing a couple relays there.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:00 PM
D1gger
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

The start relay is usually located between the battery and the starter, right next to the main breaker. On mine it's under the right side cover.

Texashillcountry: I don't know if my wiring diagram I looked up is the exact right one for your bike, but after looking over a couple of them, I still say that connecting the relay between the solenoid and the original solenoid wire would be your best bet to avoid any other issues. Just unplug the 18g green wire from your solenoid, add enough wire to reach where ever you want to mount the new servo and connect that green wire to post "85" on the new relay. Then connect post "87" on the new relay back down to the terminal on the solenoid that you just unplugged the green wire from. Ground new relay post "86" and connect new relay post "30" through a fuse to the battery positive post or the heavy lug on the starter.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:16 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 6,322 Likes on 3,178 Posts

Wow, alot of work. Just put a push button on the end of the starter coil. 3 screws and done.
And not another relay to fail.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:40 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by RANGER73
Wow, alot of work. Just put a push button on the end of the starter coil. 3 screws and done.
And not another relay to fail.
Actually I have already done this but the button is in an awkward and annoying position to use for a full time start button. I works great for emergencies though.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:44 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by Mr1986FLST
Does anyone know where the relay is located on an '86 FLST? Under the speedo? I think I remember seeing a couple relays there.
Not sure about the '86 but mine is under the seat to the right of the ignition module and to the rear of the battery. If you have the same thing there should be a plastic cover on it secured by a 1/4 in screw.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:49 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by D1gger
The start relay is usually located between the battery and the starter, right next to the main breaker. On mine it's under the right side cover.

Texashillcountry: I don't know if my wiring diagram I looked up is the exact right one for your bike, but after looking over a couple of them, I still say that connecting the relay between the solenoid and the original solenoid wire would be your best bet to avoid any other issues. Just unplug the 18g green wire from your solenoid, add enough wire to reach where ever you want to mount the new servo and connect that green wire to post "85" on the new relay. Then connect post "87" on the new relay back down to the terminal on the solenoid that you just unplugged the green wire from. Ground new relay post "86" and connect new relay post "30" through a fuse to the battery positive post or the heavy lug on the starter.
Thanks a lot D1gger. I think I got it now.
I am waiting for new pin and socket connectors to come in 'cause when I do this I am going to go through the entire electrical system and make sure everything is good and I only want to tear the bike apart once.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:44 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 6,322 Likes on 3,178 Posts

A quick way to check if it's the relay.
Put the bike in neutral
remove seat
push the start button,
if nothing happens tap the relay with the handle of a screw driver (or anything) while holding the start button.
if it energizes the starter, it's a good chance the contacts are not touching inside the relay.

After the second relay failed on me I took it apart and bent the contacts closer, for a more solid connection when energized.

I also added the starter coil button after the first relay failed.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:38 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Made this improvement today and it works like a charm. The only thing I did different is I took the solenoid wire female spade out of the relay connector and put it on the new relay, then put a new wire in that slot and looped it to the new relay. That way I had no wire re-routing whatsoever. Left everything right where it was in relation to the starter and everything took place at the relays.
Great write-up Digger, and thanks.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:06 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by Gunslingertom
Made this improvement today and it works like a charm. The only thing I did different is I took the solenoid wire female spade out of the relay connector and put it on the new relay, then put a new wire in that slot and looped it to the new relay. That way I had no wire re-routing whatsoever. Left everything right where it was in relation to the starter and everything took place at the relays.
Great write-up Digger, and thanks.
This is exactly the way I plan on doing it.

Is there any trick to getting the female spade connector out of the relay connector?

Old 06-24-2012, 05:15 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
This is exactly the way I plan on doing it.

Is there any trick to getting the female spade connector out of the relay connector?
Yep, a very small slotted screwdriver to press the tiny tab that locks it in place.

Quick Reply: Unedited: Adding a second relay to fix the dreaded click