D1gger
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Bump for good reference thread!

Old 07-16-2012, 03:52 PM
Nostalgia_93
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great and useful thread, I add my vote for making it sticky too :-)

Thanks again, D1gger for your kind help inside/outside the thread further clariflying me how to make the "operation".

I'm in the process of checking a new relay I installed and will add the fused wire to the system if it "clicks" just one time, will need sometime to check, as it was ocassional.

Cheers,

Old 07-23-2012, 02:29 PM
mdunn
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted this in the wrong section I guess. Looks like my problem is the relay or needing an additional relay which i dont know whats the best solution to fix this? Anyone want to share some solutions for me?

I thought I would throw this out there and see if anyone has had the same problem before? I have a starter issue right now and I am sorting it out.
1. Battery is full , lights are on, everything works.

2. Hit the starter button the circut breaker (resetable metal fuse) clicks and the lights go off and no juice anywhere and nothing to the starter.

3. The fuse resets itself( 5 seconds later) and lights are back on, everthing is good.

I replaced the starter relay, new fuse on the back fender inside mud flap, checked the two fuses under the dash, all check out good. I am now going to replace the starter with a new one as I purchased one online today. I just cant figure out why the starter is not turning on and the fuse is setting off?
When this first happen last week, i unpluged the starter relay and pluged it back in and hit the starter and it fired the bike up. I had too do this about 3 times on Sunday. Now even unplugging the starter relay does nothing. I think its the starter and I am trying to pin point the problem.

Having to pull the Primary cover to remove the starter is such a stupid design...

Mike

Old 07-25-2012, 10:42 AM
mdunn
Cruiser

Problem sloved:

Cut the #30 wire on the relay, tapped it off, than ran a wire from the battery + post direct to the #30 relay and it works just fine. No need for a new starter. Thank you forum member Neil!

Old 07-25-2012, 01:59 PM
D1gger
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

You are very welcome!

Old 07-25-2012, 02:09 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Yet one more example of why this needs to be a sticky.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:19 PM
mdunn
Cruiser

I can't begin to say what a rookie move I made but I did. Anyway, where is the starter relay located on a 1992 Heritage softail? I tapped into the wrong relay( shotgun shock relay)

Mike

Old 07-26-2012, 09:16 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by mdunn
I can't begin to say what a rookie move I made but I did. Anyway, where is the starter relay located on a 1992 Heritage softail? I tapped into the wrong relay( shotgun shock relay)

Mike
If it is the same place as my '95 then it is just under the seat behind the battery right next to the ignition module. It is under a plastic cover.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:30 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mdunn

Mike
Sorry, off topic here, but would you post up some pics of that beautiful Heritage?

Old 07-26-2012, 10:59 PM
schwangster
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Have yet to put the second relay in my 98 WG, so have been relying on the button on the starter to kick her over a couple times when cold. After a couple turns she will usually start from the starter switch on the handlebar.

Interestingly, I found this relay option for the Twin-Tec SF ignition I installed.
http://www.daytona-twintec.com/downl...structions.pdf

I was wondering if I should install this, and add a second wire from #30 to the starter; add a separate relay for the starter; or just forget the whole thing and use the button on the solenoid.

Quick Reply: Unedited: Adding a second relay to fix the dreaded click